Grolsch bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomy2

Reaction score
I have a chance to but 24 of the brown bottles (16oz) for $40.

The newspaper ad reads:

Clean, empty 16 oz grolsch bottles are for sale at $40 per case of 24. We have brown or green cases available. Labels and glue have been removed. The swing tops are ceramic. Each bottle has the flip-top mechanism in tact, as well as the rubber seal.

Good deal???? Thanks!

I'd say it's a fair deal, but not smokin'. You're going to need around 40 for a 5 gallon batch, though. Assuming you can't "break a case", that's $80 that you could put towards a basic keg set-up. It depends what you want to do / how you see your brewing process evolving. If I were to do it again, I'd still start with bottles, but I'd spend as little as possible. I'm thinking PET or snagging someone's unwanted bottling set-up.

I made a deal at $70 for 48 bottles. I dont see myself getting into kegging anytime soon. I brew mostly for friends/family so I do take alot of my bottles to other people to share with them.

If you're already bottling in standard 12oz bottles and these are just for show, it becomes a matter of what it's worth to you to present your beer in swing tops. Keep in mind that if you are sharing beer with friends, over time they will disappear.

On the other hand, if this is for your primary means of bottling and sharing your beer, you'd be better off with recycled standard bottles. You can even get enough new bottles for a 5 gallon batch for half of what you'll spend on these flip tops.

I bottle now in 22 oz bottles for my 5gal batches. Like I said I do share alot with friends. I am also very dilgent on getting my bottles back. lol....

I bottle in the 16 oz. flip-tops for my use, and bottle about a dozen in recycled amber bottles to share with family and friends. I like the ease of bottling in the flip-tops and the volume.

I'd agree that it's not a smokin' deal, but consider the convenience of not having to deal with capping. Of course, easy for me to say since a neighbor of mine just drops off his empty Grolsch's to me for free on a fairly recurring basis.

Last time I bought flip top bottles, I got some Grolsch bottles for less then a buck each. I got three cases for $60. Check on craigslist.

Back