Griffen Claw El Rojo clone ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True_Sycko

Reaction score
I picked up a Griffen Claw (small brewery in Birmingham, MI) sampler pack awhile back and it contained El Rojo, a red ale. I fell in love with it. I then had it again on tap this past weekend and want to brew something like it. It's a rich, malty red with very little detectable bitterness (too me). While I have been brewing all grain for awhile, I haven't really tried making a clone on my own. And the last time I attempted a brown, it didn't turn out so hot, rather extremely poor and muddy flavors. So to those who have had it before, can you help me pull together a recipe?

Here is a description of it
El Rojo is brewed with dark caramel malts and a touch of roasted barley, to give it a rich ruby red color. After fermentation it is dry hopped with East-Kent Goldings, a traditional hop from England, for the aroma. It took a bronze medal at the GABF, entered in as an English Brown — but it’s really more of an American Red, bigger than Scottish Reds. This malty ale goes well with salmon and pork dishes

It's 6.5% ABV and has 25 IBU's according to the can.

So far I am thinking something like (very quick and rough formulation)...

OG: 1.066
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.50%
IBU: 26.22
SRM: 20.01

5# Dark Munich
3.5# Maris Otter
3.5# Vienna
0.5# Crystal 60
0.5# Crystal 120
0.25# Roasted Barley

1oz EKG @ 60 min = 17.52 IBU