Greetings from Cincinnati

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSCar

Reaction score
Hello all. Newer brewer here from Cincinnati, OH. I brewed my first batch back in February and have been going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole gradually from there. I'm hoping to brew batch #9 in the next few days . My first seven batches were all from extract kits, but I decided I wanted to get away from kits for batch #8 onwards and have been taking inspiration from the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles and elsewhere.

I'm quickly discovering that it's a PITA to buy extract in granular sizes, so I'm planning to do a partial mash, partial boil with extract for batch #9 . I think I'll eventually make the full switch into all-grain, but my electric kettle (Gigawort) only holds 4.4 gallons. So, until I can upgrade to a bigger kettle or an all-in-one system I'm thinking partial mash, partial boils with extract are my best option for 5-gallon batches for now. It's been a lot of fun converting recipes from all-grain or extract!

Anyway, I've mostly been lurking here and on r/homebrewing. Figured it was time to create an account. Looking forward to sinking more time and money into this hobby!

Welcome to the hobby, and this forum. Your going to fit right in.

I spent quite a bit of time in Cincinnati back in 08-09, my daughter got a liver transplant from CCH. I'm guessing the craft beer culture has probably morphed a lot over the past decade?

I think your on the right track with the partial mash, really gives you the best of both worlds, and with each batch your learning lots of things that will be very helpful when you make the big plunge into AG.

Cheers!

I'm guessing the craft beer culture has probably morphed a lot over the past decade?
Absolutely. There's definitely been quite a few breweries and mirco-breweries that have popped up (or at least that I've become aware of in that timespan.).

your learning lots of things that will be very helpful when you make the big plunge into AG
It certainly feels like it. I did my first partial mash a few days ago and it went mostly smoothly. Now the big question I'm wrestling with is what to do next: upgrade to a bigger kettle/AIO system or start getting into kegging. Haha.

And thank you!

Hello from Columbus! Welcome to the forum! As you build toward AG, look into the Brew in a Bag Method, one of the lowest barrier entries to AG, and the one I use exclusively. Let me know if you have questions, and the BIAB forum here is an incredible resource too.

Back