Greetings from Austin TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxTundra

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a craft beer fanatic but never attempted to brew my own. I really didn't intend to try a brew but now find myself looking for information. Last Christmas, my oldest son asked for a starter kit to try brewing. We bought him a starter kit from MoreBeer (BRKIT300) and saved bottles for him to attempt his first beer. Time went by, life happened and he ended up never opening the box and then he moved back to the east coast. I gave him the cash to replace it and kept the kit since he ran out of room packing. So, I now find myself in the position to attempt a brew. I'm researching and looking/reading/watching online content to figure out how to get something drinkable the first try. I don't expect a great brew but I would like something we can consume and not dump. LOL! I've spoken with several local master brewers here and immediately came to understand that 75% of beer making is cleaning. This site appears to have a wealth of knowledge from everyone's experience. I appreciate everyone who added content, shared their experience, good or bad, to help people like me who want to give this a try.

My interests are in higher IBU beers. I love a good hoppy IPA but I am always willing to try any new craft beer when I find them. I have a ton so searches and reading to do here. Please be patient with me if I ask a question. The last time I saw beer being brewed at home, I was 6 or 7 and my Dad was making it... :)

I live outside of Austin,TX and will soon be moving to a larger parcel of land as my wife and I are building our forever home and will retire and make beer while tending to the animals. By that time, I'll be kegging beer to enjoy in the outdoor kitchen!

Thanks all. ~Eric

Welcome to HBT. If your kit has liquid malt extract (LME), you should probably brew pretty soon - LME is better fresh. Hops should be kept frozen, and dry yeast should be kept in the fridge. If it's liquid yeast, it might have to be replaced - maybe others can comment on this. Good luck.

Back