Greetings! and weird ferments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCxc

Reaction score
Just wanted to say Hello to everyone since I am new here. Also, my friend and I were having a discussion. What weird things have you tried fermenting? I was curious if anyone ever tried fermenting Sobe energy for example.

I tried grapefruit juice.... It ferments quite well, but you really don't want to drink it!!! Hell, just the smell is pretty hard to take.

Think honey lemon wheat only I used agave nectar in place of the honey and lime instead of lemon. Fermentation was a little long but turned out good. Called it Limgave. Now I'm thinking about a Tapioca Stout/Porter.

Kombucha, is the strangest thing I have tried fermenting. That stuff is just plain strange. It is this gellatinous mass that is normally used for fermenting tea. I found out about it in a book called Wild Fermentation and it is just bizarre. It creates a "mother" like normally used for vinegar but in the book they talk about fermenting mountain dew with it.

Never tried any of that weird stuff but I have a crock of sauerkraut on the counter, some kefir and sourdough going.

I saw that clip of him eating the durian. The look on his face was classic. :) He's up there in the realms of cool food guys close to Anthony Bourdain.

Man, I love it...it's one of those fruits that you crave and adore or vomit at the smell of...

I just have a feeling that fermenting durian beer will get me kicked out of my apartment, so no experimenting for me. :)

Durian? Is that the tropical fruit that smells terrible? I think I saw that episode. Was that the one with the witch doctor?

It is indeed the tropical fruit that smells terrible. :) But oh, man, it tastes so good...

I didn't see the episode, just the very last part. I think it was coming on right before "No Reservations", which was how I ended up catching it. I was trying to find a youtube link to the clip, but no dice so far.

Back