green flavors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryanbrew

Reaction score
what exactly is green flavors? i know when you dont age long enough people use the term green flavor in the beer but where did this term come from and why is it called green?
:mug:

Simply put it doesn't taste "right"..it doesn't taste like the flavors are all melded together yet...there might be some flavors that predominate, let's say of you oaked it and the oak is very strong...it needs to mellow..

Often green beers have chemical tastes, like green apples ( where they term "green" probably originated from, or bubblegum...theses are because there are still some byproducts of fermentation leftover that the yeasts and CO2 need to scrub away, and that takes some time, once the beer is carbed..

I have some thing written up about it here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/558191-post101.html

It's often just a perception that the beer doesn't taste like the beer we are used to...the flavors are not quite in harmony...

Revvy is right on. The flavors will meld with time. for example... I did a double IPA about 8 weeks ago. Primary for 2 weeks and secondary for 2 and then to keg. I tried it at week 5 (fully carbonated) and damn it was rough. The hops would just mess you up. Now at week 8 I sit as I type this watching the Steelers pound the Chargers with a glass of said Double IPA. Now the malt has come through and the hops have melded with the malt to make for a very pleasant beer.

Give it some time, it will get better.

Back