Green Bottles for First Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerdentist

Reaction score
I am collecting bottles for my first brew. Most are the standard brown glass, some are Green Glass (Heineken) bottles. Any problems with using these bottles too?

Green bottles are prone to UV/light exposure which can skunk beer. Brown bottles are preferred but green bottles are sufficient as long as they're kept in the dark once they're filled.

You might want to save the green bottles anyway and use them if you ever make a batch of Apfelwein, which doesn't have hops and is not affected by skunking.

I use my green and clear bottles for apfelwein. But for your first batch, go ahead and use them, just cover them up once they are filled.

I don't know if it applies to all imported green glass beer bottles, but Beck's beer bottles have an oversized mouth and require a larger size cap to bottle them.

FWIW,

Pogo

Try to avoid thin glass. I've actually pulled the necks off a couple of bottles using a hand capper.

The main problem here is you have to drink heineken to get the bottles:drunk:

Back