Gravity taking a long time to drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott_maughan

Reaction score
Morning, hope all are well.

I’ve brewed loads of beers but tried a cider for the first time recently. Simple and easy from a wilkos pack. Very similar steps to the process for brewing beer.

It’s stayed bang on temperature and although the gravity is dropping, it’s very gradual. It’s now at 2 weeks and only at 1010 (still waiting for the 1008). I’m hoping it’s going to get there in the next day or 2 but does anyone have any theories why it’s taken so long or any advice?

Thank you in advance.

That doesn't seem an unusual time to go from something like 1.050 (what was the OG?) to 1.010. Adding nutrient will speed things up but in the middle of winter (even with added nutrient) I have had such fermentation take four weeks or even longer. At below 10C (50F) I have moved primary fermentation from my outside storeroom to a warmer location in order to move things along.

I have a cider going that’s at 1.020-ish after 2 weeks. It started at 1.053 and I used 2 packets of Lallamand West Coast Ale yeast. It’s going to take some time. I don’t plan to check gravity again for another week.

Latest posts

Back