Gravity / ABV maths questions. Do my homework for me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMcPhee

Reaction score
Recently brewed a 5G recipe using a 2.5G boil volume. On finishing, I realised I didn't have the fermenter available that I thought I had. all I had available was a 5G plastic bottle.

So, I decided to throw in my 2.5G of wort, and add water until reaching 4G, leaving 1G worth of head space.

My OG was 1.067.

I'm going to estimate my FG will be 1.015 (stay with me here). ABV roughly 6.85%

question: Once fermentation is complete, and I add an extra gallon of water to bring the total volume up to 5G, what will my FG and ABV be? Can you show me the maths required to figure this out?

Yup,that bottle is def too small. A 6.5G bottle is what you need. Adding water after ferment is done is not a good idea. It seems like with a full 5G in the fermenter,the OG would be 1.045-ish,1.050 maybe.

I get 1.054OG, 1.012FG, and 5.5% ABV

(67*4)/5 and (15*4)/5

But, I would never advocate topping off post-fermentation....Just roll with your four gallons and get a bigger fermenter for next time...

Huh, what's the deal with not topping up after fermentation?

This is a belgian golden ale, so there's no problems letting it go to the higher ABV, but I am curious.

Topping up post fermentation is tricky. You can't have oxygen in your water, and because he diluted it before it may get very thin. I do post fermentation dilution on occasion and you have to know your stuff or it is horrible. That's why I wanted to know his true OG.

I had about 2.5G left in the pot after boiling was done. I then added enough water to make 4G. The OG of those 4G was 1.067

Back