Grandpas old wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicnut45

Reaction score
Ok, so my Grandfather passed away a few months ago and we've been going through his stuff trying to get rid of it. Well, it just so happens he had 3 carboys of old fermented wine. The air locks were bone dry and my Grandfather had labels on them from 2008.
One of the carboys was labeled as plum wine and the other as pear. There was actually a third carboy but I dumped it because it smelled like vinegar. The two I kept smelled pretty good. They had a strong alcohol scent and a sweet smell to them. I should add there was a slight smell of glue to them which seemed a little off putting but for the most part they smelled drinkable.
My question is: Does anybody think these wines would be safe to drink? Can I do any harm from taking a sip?

Live a little bro!

It's grandpa's wine, taking a hit is the only way you're gonna know if you should swallow or spit. Should be fine to drink from a food poisoning standpoint, may taste like crap and be undrinkable but nothing to hurt you. I'd be surprised if they're not all vinegary at this point.

I think they would be safe, but I'm certainly no authority.

I would take a drink, then dump.

I'm betting it's oxidized after sitting with a dry airlock. I'd try em though.
& if it smells like vinegar, it probably is...could be the best vinegar you ever had!

I'd drink it. I haven't come across instances where wine (with a normal abv range) has made anyone sick. From a sip. Not including alcohol poisoning...

I'd definitely give it a go! My Grandfather passed away in 2010, and had left several demijohns full of wine. One of which was a demijohn of mead from 2003! It was amazing! Like you had, some of his wine was vinegar, but some of it was amazing!

Live a little bro!

It's grandpa's wine, taking a hit is the only way you're gonna know if you should swallow or spit. Should be fine to drink from a food poisoning standpoint, may taste like crap and be undrinkable but nothing to hurt you. I'd be surprised if they're not all vinegary at this point.

I about spewed when I read "swallow or spit"...that's funny right there!

We were at a tasting and a few of those "fine wines" were spitting quality in my book...and I did.

OP...try it, the worst that can happen is you spit! Or it could be something amazing...more likely somewhere in between. Granddaddy made it, I'd have to try it.

Back