Grains for a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLampada28

Reaction score
My buddy and I are looking at making a stout soon. I was thinking of:

8# Maris Otter
1# Roasted Barley
1# Flaked Barley
1# Crystal 60L
1/2# Chocolate Malt
1/2# Coffee Malt

This will be the first stout I try to make and was wondering if this seemed like a good combo of grains (and in proper quantities) for it. Anyone got any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Since it's not in percentages I have no clue about the composition except for the choice of grains, which looks good.

My buddy and I are looking at making a stout soon. I was thinking of:

8# Maris Otter
1# Roasted Barley
1# Flaked Barley
1# Crystal 60L
1/2# Chocolate Malt
1/2# Coffee Malt

This will be the first stout I try to make and was wondering if this seemed like a good combo of grains (and in proper quantities) for it. Anyone got any tips or suggestions? Thanks!
This is similar to a stout that I make. I would consider adding a pound of oats. What OG are you shooting for?

Since it's not in percentages I have no clue about the composition except for the choice of grains, which looks good.

Approx. percentages is 67% for Maris Otter, 8% for the roasted barley, flaked barley and the crystal 60L each, and 4% for the chocolate and coffee malts each. Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back