GrainFather Support

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleybrew32

Reaction score
I bought a new Connect controller to go on my 3 year old boiler.
after 3 brews my boiler plug was hot and melted. I was not happy, luckily i was at the end of the boil.
emailed Morebeer and Grainfather. GrainFather support replied back the next day and wanted some photos and a video showing the numbers and issue.
3 days later i get an email they are replacing the connect controller and the 3 year boiler with a new stuff.
Morebeer replied 4 days later said they are contacting Grainfather. need to reply to them and tell them they are replacing it all ready.
cant say enough for both companies customer service, MoreBeer has helped me out a few times with orders.
Grainfather already replaced my boiler once before when my element overload broke.
so if you have an issue reach out to them and see if they can help you.
cheers

thats awesome, mine was over three years in May, they still covered it though.

I hope to get the same type of service

I've had my Grainfather for 5 years. 22 months ago my controller died and Grainfather replaced the unit. Like Harleybrew, I sent them some video and still pictures. I also went through my LHBS where I bought the Grainfather.

I was brewing this past Saturday and the newer controller crapped out. I started to smell rubber burning and the heating stopped. I unplugged the controller from the outlet and, sure enough, the plug from the controller to the boiler was fried. I can't even remove the plug.

I contacted Grainfather, along with sending pictures and other information, and waiting to hear what they have to say.

I hope I'm covered. After all the new controller is less than 2 years old.

As a follow-up:

I got an email from Grainfather saying that "a replacement control box and boiler will resolve the issue." They asked that I confirm my shipping address, which I did.

It sounds like I will be getting a new Grainfather. Yippee!

Great service from Grainfather.

Thats great, glad to hear you had a good experience with GrainFather support.
Hope they keep it up.

I had the same issue with an older Connect unit....it was about 5 years old at the time. I did not expect much but wrote to GF anyhow.
To my surprise they asked for my mailing address & VIOLA -- entirely new vessel arrived later, minus valve & stainless tube (which were easily moved). Pretty good support IMHO.

A couple of days ago I too suffered the melted heating element plug issue many others have had. I was able to finish the brew day, but it took a flat blade screwdriver to pry the heating element plug from the socket on the bottom of the controller. I started the service call process with Grainfather other posters described above. They replied quickly (even though it was the weekend), and I provided them the required information. My unit is four years old. If they say the repair is on me, I think I'll try to buy the socket and power cord items online and repair it myself. I found sockets 5 for $10US, and a power cord will be less than $10US. I wonder what they do with the returned units from others that have suffered the same problem. Maybe they refurb them and sell them at a discount. It seems this problem will continue to happen over time so a DIY repair might be the best solution, at least for me.

I'm curious why GF doesn't re-engineer the 110V plugs used or come up with a retrofit for the older units.

I've not heard of similar problems with newer 220V units but figure they don't draw nearly the amps that the 110v unit does.

Fortunately, they really do have great customer service!

I'm curious why GF doesn't re-engineer the 110V plugs used or come up with a retrofit for the older units.

I've not heard of similar problems with newer 220V units but figure they don't draw nearly the amps that the 110v unit does.

Fortunately, they really do have great customer service!
Agreed. It seems like all units will eventually fail. I've brewed a dozen times in the last 5 months so maybe I pushed it over the edge.

A couple of days ago I too suffered the melted heating element plug issue many others have had. I was able to finish the brew day, but it took a flat blade screwdriver to pry the heating element plug from the socket on the bottom of the controller. I started the service call process with Grainfather other posters described above. They replied quickly (even though it was the weekend), and I provided them the required information. My unit is four years old. If they say the repair is on me, I think I'll try to buy the socket and power cord items online and repair it myself. I found sockets 5 for $10US, and a power cord will be less than $10US. I wonder what they do with the returned units from others that have suffered the same problem. Maybe they refurb them and sell them at a discount. It seems this problem will continue to happen over time so a DIY repair might be the best solution, at least for me.

UPDATE: Grainfather replaced the Bluetooth controller and boiler free of charge. My old unit was 1 month short of being 4 years old. That's great service.

Back