Grainfather GC4 -> Conical Fermenter issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuirc

Reaction score
The GC4 has been through priming but this is the first time I'm trying to use it in anger. I've connected everything up to port 1 on the GC4. The power cable is connected to the GC4 and the fermenter. I upgraded the controller on the fermenter already thinking that was the problem. So, now I'm running the Conical Fermenter Pro Connect (which has power and seems to be operating normally). The GC4 is cooling itself to about 22-23F and cycles normally. No alarms or other indications anything is wrong. The Fermenter is displaying that it is cooling, but nothing is happening. Anyone have any ideas? I've written to Grainfather support, but it will be a while until they are awake in Kiwi land.

Turned out that I had misplaced the right signal cable and I was try’s no to use the signal cable that goes to another Grainfather kit that you use if you are pumping chilled water from your chilly bin through the fermenter. That cable requires power and will not work in this application.

At the end of the day, I paid $35 and had them send me the right cable (which I got surprisingly quickly considering the state of the world today). Then, a few weeks later when I was brewing and Irish Red, I found the proper cable still in the original box. Hope this helps. I know it was very frustrating not knowing what the issue was so I could just solve it!

Tuiric, thanks sonmuch for your reply! If we are talking the 3 pin cable from the GC4 to the fermentor? I dont think that issn it in this case, as I bought second hand abd apparently it was working. I have the non bluetooth controller, think I'll upgrade to the pro and see if that works. Must say the controller errors a bit when touched/lightly pushed .... am thinking connectiin/contact issue.

Thanks again

Back