Grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan33

Reaction score
I have a barley crusher grain mill. I have a friend who brews good beer and he adjusted my mil to .031. He gets great efficency and makes good beer. I used the mill this weekend and iy milled tons of flour. I dis not have a stuck sparge and efficiency was good. However when chilling I had lots of cold break. Should I open up my mill or just go with it. And also what causes all that cold break

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

My mill is set to 0.030. When I mill, it makes a lot of flour and it doesn't look there are barely enough husks left to support the grain bed, but I've yet to have a stuck sparge.

After 2-3 weeks in the fermenter, and a few days in the keg, the beer pours clear after a couple of pints.

Thanks for the quick replies. So as a new brewer my question was answered. The flour is not a problem as long as no stuck sparge. As for the wet milling, just soak the grains?

I was worried with so much cold break going into the fermenter that maybe the mill was too low. hope the beer turns out fine.

Ok. Thanks I will give it a try

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back