Got 5 gallons, don't think so...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robaincltnc

Reaction score
Looking for some advice. When I brew my 5 gallons of wort many times I only end up with 4-4.5 gallons or less due to the settling of all the malt yeast etc. Is it ok to add water to bring back to 5 gallons mark? Thanks for the info!

Have a great Sunday brewing.

You *can* add water, but it will dilute the beer. Generally, you'll want to brew your batches just a bit bigger, in the future, to compensate for this loss to trub/yeast/etc.

that's why I always put 5.25 gallons of wort into the fermentor...that way I collect roughly 5 gallons minus the trub.

If you're talking about putting 5 gallons into the fermenter, and only getting 4-4.5 gallons to bottles, then you just need to compensate for the 'loss' when you brew. I typically see a 'loss' of 1-3 quarts between what goes into the fermenter and what goes into bottles. I have three new fermenters to use (two 6.6 gallon and one 7.75 gallon) so I plan on offsetting that 'loss' in future batches to ensure I get much closer to 5 gallons into bottles. Since I also now have a 40qt kettle, I'll be able to safely boil the extra wort volume without worry. With the sight tube on the kettle, I'll have a better measure of how much wort I'm starting and finishing with.

IF you can't boil larger amounts, then make it a bit stronger and add water when it goes into primary. If you're racking ales to a bright tank without aging them on something, stop doing that. Leaving them in primary longer will actually help the yeast cake to compact, giving you more brew to bottle. I wouldn't add water to a brew/batch right before bottling it up. Far better to start with more going into primary.

Are you talking about adding after fermentation?

Yes, just went to secondary and want to know if I can add a bit of water to bring up to 5gallon. In the future I will my primary will have 5.25 to 5.5 gallons in it prior to adding yeast.

Yes, just went to secondary and want to know if I can add a bit of water to bring up to 5gallon. In the future I will my primary will have 5.25 to 5.5 gallons in it prior to adding yeast.

yes...and make sure to compensate for the additional wort by adding to your grain bill/dme/lme/etc to hit your OG.

All good advice- liquid should be added prior to the primary, whatever the details. With my setup, given all the variables, I end up with 50-52 bottles in a 5 gallon batch. Trub is a variable, too. Sometimes if I'm using Nottingham, the trub is a nice neat little 1/2 cake on the bottom of the bucket. With S-05, it can easily be twice that thick- you're going to have less beer in that situation, no question. I'm happy with the beer, I live with being a few bottles short.....

I probably wouldn't add water into the secondary. I would compensate before primary. At this point I would just be happy a few bottles short. It will taste better.

FWIW, many of us don't use a secondary. I primary for 3-4 weeks then keg.

I have also topped off many a time, back in my day....

same here, I rarely bother with a secondary -when lagering, I will use a secondary and lager in that -then keg it.
I wouldn't add water AFTER fermentation has completed -if you really must -if it really REALLY burns your tail having to sacrifice a bit of brew, make sure you boil the water good and strong (and cool it) before adding. Next time (as has been said) just collect a bit more wort in the fermenter to compensate. For my part, I don't worry about it. After all, being the brewer, I get the lions' share of the beer -the trub or yeast get to keep a fairly small amount. :D
OTHER things you can do is work to minimize trub -I keep it to an absolute minimum by doing a whirlfloc -and if it is a lighter-colored beer, I also crash cool it in the boil pot (pump it through the plate chiller and right back into to boil pot in such a manner to cause a whirlpool -if I'm really working on a light colored beer that must be clear as can be, I pump it through the chiller, and whirlpool it in a receiving container to allow the cold break to settle, then into the primary fermenter -I don't like using an added vessel (the makeshift whirlfloc and chill tank) because it adds a little more risk to contamination, so I usually stick with recirculating it back to the boil kettle until its chilled to pitching temp -then into the fermenter, aerate, pitch and seal -and have another homebrew.
One last thing regarding your trub -if you use a bulkhead outlet in your boiler, put a stainless steel or copper scrubbie in front of the opening of the dip tube -I find it catches pretty much all of the hops.
Sorry I ran on a bit long.. But am sick as a dog today, bored to tears, and unable to brew (so I'm also depressed) :(

also if you are using a bucket fermenter I wouldn't trust the gallon markings mine were almost 1/3 gal off

great point! I use a dip-stick to measure mine -though I have to make sure I'm using the right stick for the right bucket. Some of 'em aren't the same diameter and height.
Once had one that didn't quite make it to the 5 gallon MARK, but when I racked it off into a keg, it actually overflowed (talk about a mixed blessing! -the dogs LOVED lapping THAT up off the kitchen floor -I still hear about that from time to time and am no longer allowed to transfer or put any beer in the house -the exception being bottled brew and kegs in my kegerator (if they don't fit, they have to be in the breweries' fridge).

Back