Gose stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboyfan

Reaction score
I’m brewing my first Gose, I did 15 minute boil with no hops and pitched 3/4 quart of goodbellys after cool. I put at 90 degrees for 2 days and got it to 3.6 ph, upped it to 95 and been it’s stalled at 3.6. I did not pre acidity with anything, question is should I put more goodbelly in now or just pitch regular yeast now?

Troubleshooting
- Are you using a pH meter?
- Did you calibrate the meter per mfg instruction before measuring?
- Is your calibration solution reasonably fresh?
- Are you storing the probe as instructed (e.g. keeping it wet with storage solution)?
- Are you sure the temp isn't exceeding 100°F (calibrated thermometer, etc)?

You can try pitching more bacteria. The pH should drop to around 3.1-3.4 with active L. plantarum. It's unusual for it to stall that high.

pH 3.6 will give noticeable tartness, so pitching yeast is definitely an option.
However I prefer more sour, so I would try adding more bacteria.

Hope this helps

I just have wine ph strips, it did taste a little more sour last night but didn’t show any improvement on strips but tasted the same tonight. Just bought fermotemp system so assume the temp is right

PH strips are totally inaccurate.

I'd recommend to move forward with the fermentation at this point.

It might be worth checking your new thermometer against another one just to make sure.

Cheers

Didn’t know what to expect as I’ve never tried a Gose, turned out pretty tasty. I like the slight salty and sourness turned out about perfect for me, thinking about adding lime zest or something else to next batch.

Back