Goofy OLY-052 (vermont conan yeast) fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrank85

Reaction score
Not really worried, just curious. I recently brewed up a simple pale ale (recipe at the bottom) with the Omega DIPA, conan, yeast strain and have been getting some strange fermentation results . I started the fermentation temp at 64F, noticeable fermentation started around hour 12 and thick krausen formation around 24h. The beer was very cloudy, as it should be, with crazy turbulent movement inside the fermenter. After the krausen fell half way I brought it upstairs (70F) to warm and finish strong. Here's the weird thing, once I brought It upstairs to warm, the beer cleared, almost see through, almost over night. There is still a lot of airlock activity and a steady amount of turbulence in the fermenter but the bubbles all seem to be coming from the bottom of the carboy. Airlock smells like juicy hops and tropical fruit. Noticable fermentation started 11/27/16. Has anyone had strange fermentation experience with this yeast?

Side note: I've been an S-05 guy for my ipa's and pales but Ive been trying to branch out.

8.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3 8.8 %
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 44.0 %
2 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5 17.6 %
2 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6 17.6 %
1 lbs GoldPils Vienna (3.5 SRM) Grain 7 8.8 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.3 %
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -
2.00 oz Hallertau Blanc [10.50 %] - Boil 10.0 mi Hop 10 24.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Ariana [10.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 13.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Ariana [10.20 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 12 2.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Hallertau Blanc [7.30 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 13 2.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg DIPA Ale (Omega #OYL-052) Yeast 14 -

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs 6.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Protein Rest Add 12.00 qt of water at 130.6 F 122.0 F 30 min
Saccharification Add 12.00 qt of water at 185.0 F 151.0 F 30 min
Mash Out Add 12.00 qt of water at 204.9 F 168.0 F 10 min

1.052 SG Measured
1.010 FG Target

Thats pretty normal with most any fermentation :confused: It sounds like yeast flocced out when you moved it upstairs. In my experience with conan it can throw some diacetyl so make sure you taste it before packaging

I don't think itll throw diacetyl if fermented low and finished at 70F. I was mostly curious because its crystal clear and conan is supposed to be a "dirty" yeast paired with the 35% wheat and 8oz of hops, it should be cloudy. Most flocc happens at lower temps, not higher, in my experience. Not concerned or worried by any means, it smells wonderful, just sharing my experience and wondering if anyone else has had similar. I'm used to S-05, which for me is an airlock blower and is quick to ferment and settle. Maybe I'm just used to the fast ferment and drop and will get that from the second gen?

No DH, I'd like to harvest this yeast for future batches so I didnt want to muck up the cake. You can still get quite a bit of haziness from heavy end of boil hopping ime. It was my understanding that this yeast is a low flocc and doesnt clear, even with crashing or finnings. Perhaps I did a little too much research and got over informed?

usually dry hopping during active fermentation is what creates the haze. Ive done some with conan where I have dry hopped after fermentation and with heavy end of boil hopping and they have come out relatively clear

usually dry hopping during active fermentation is what creates the haze. Ive done some with conan where I have dry hopped after fermentation and with heavy end of boil hopping and they have come out relatively clear

Ok cool, I guess im just being a worry wort (see what i did there?). Have your fermentations been pretty lengthy with this yeast? It'll be a week tomorrow and I'm still seeing tons of bubbles coming up from the cake and noticeable layer of krausen on top.

Agree strongly with this, especially since it looks like you didn't do a hopstand or any dryhopping. How much of the trub did you transfer to the fermenter? My Conan starters drop crystal clear in 5 days because there is no hop material in there. Having said that, my fermentations are quick with this yeast where I keg on day 10/drink on 14 with no issues at all.

Have used this yeast half a dozen times since first trying it a year ago. Every batch that did not have a ton of hops at hop-stand and dry hop cleared out very well.

Alright, I'll admit it, I was a bit worried. Being a seasoned home brewer I've been a bit lax in my expansion into different yeast strains. I've be tried and true to yeast and have been dabbling in grain and hops. Honestly I think after the 24hr krausen, the yeast was soo active that I missed the party. I'm so used to S-05 that is explosive and extensive, this was a one and done. 1.052 to 1.011 in short work. The bubbles coming from the cake had to be gas off. The FG stayed constant but bubbles continued, I suspected infection...that's what worried me. TBH, this yeast is quite fun. Carbed up for a week, it is fantastic. I am convinced this beer will get better once its fully carbed and the following generations will be even more attenutive and will have much more complexity. Thanks for all the views and comments! I'll be updating this post with tasting notes and second gen DIPA feed back!

Back