Good way to attach drip tray?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hank1105

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got the last piece to my keezer, the good old drip tray. Any good ways of mounting? I don't want to drill into the chest freezer. Was thinking of liquid nails, but not sure how it will stay there as it sets. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hank

neodymium (rare earth) magnets? That's what I plan to use with mine. That's what's currently holding my temp controller to my keezer. depending on how heavy it is, you might need to add adhesive rubber grippers to help keep it from sliding down. Look at the image below to see how I did it on my temp controller.

back-controller-58187.jpg

Double sided tape, magnets, locating the cooler lines and screwing where the lines aren't, various adhesives... lots of different ideas which people here have put to good use....

I started using just magnets but found that even though they hold tight to the keezer sheet metal they allow the drip tray to slowly slide downward. I then put some self-fusing silicone tape called Rescue Tape over the surface of the magnets and it increases the friction between the magnets and the keezer tremendously. Now I can set three full glasses on the drip tray without it sliding down.

Interesting, the drip tray weighs a good 2 lbs, I will try the doubled sided tape method, if that doesn't work I will go with the magnets and silicone. Thank you everyone.

Since they come with screw holes to hand them on I used 3m commander non permanent picture hangers.

19d6d907.jpg

51viFrmYh6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

c7d0ff45.jpg

But I noticed that the driptray tilted downwards so I had some rare earth magnets that I originally bought to hold a smoker box drip tray which I realized looked like crap and led me to splurge on the 14" one I have now.

So I stacked two magnets on top of each other and stuck them on the commanders.

5ac61396.jpg

But since magnets don't sick to the drip tray, I just used some of the self adhesive magnetic tape I have lying around.

Untitled.jpg

7403b791.jpg

I also use the same setup to attach the cap catcher.

0dffb80a.jpg

neodymium (rare earth) magnets? That's what I plan to use with mine. That's what's currently holding my temp controller to my keezer. depending on how heavy it is, you might need to add adhesive rubber grippers to help keep it from sliding down. Look at the image below to see how I did it on my temp controller.

back-controller-58187.jpg

Zombie thread, but any clue where those rubber grippy pads come from? I'm using the same project box for my temp. controller and it too keeps sliding down, even with four hard drive magnets on it.

I used 7/8 magnets, drilled small recess holes using the 15/16 paddle bit that I used for the shank holes. I upgraded from 2 taps to 3 taps so I have done this twice. Using a credit card style card was key to ensuring the magnets were placed just right to have perfect surface contact with the keezer surface.

Suttles Brewing Co..jpg

The 8 inch drip tray posted above is for sale, I used all the magnets, but they holes are ready for new ones! I simply used liquid nails to glue them in place. You have to be super careful as these guys are strong and want to jump. You also need to let them dry in place for at least 24 hours or you will have to redo it! Believe me I know. But I will tell you, once they are on, I have no hesitation to have filled glasses sitting on the tray for as long as I cared to. Any one who is interested in it, PM me.
I jused magnets for KJ Magnetics.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DE2

Back