Good Idea to Dry Hop a Tripel IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrice80

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about dry hopping my newly brewed Tripel IPA kit from NB. I just brewed it yesterday and was wondering if it would be overboard to dry hop it? If I do, how long do I dry hop it and how much hops should I use? I was thinking about using cascade.

Good or Bad Idea? I know it will add more aroma then taste, correct? Thanks guys!

I dont think you can brew a triple IPA without dry hopping. It just wouldnt have the huge hop aroma of the IIIPA style. Something like 3-5 oz (or more) for a 5-7 days should be fine. I would try something else with the cascade personally, but either way should be fine.

And yes, dry hopping is mostly for aroma, perceived flavor as well. Just wait until fermentation is finished or else the CO2 will take away some of the aroma.

So do I toss the hops on top of the secondary or do I transfer again on top of the hops for 5-7 days? Also, its a tripEL IPA, not a tripLE. Thats why I'm wondering. If you didn't use cascade, what would you use?

gotcha tripel IPA. thats very confusing. Anyway, I'm not saying dont use cascade, just that Cascade in combination with 1 or 2 other varieties would provide several layers of hop flavor, and give it a better aroma. But cascade by itself will be fine too.

I would just toss the hops on top of the secondary. I usually do primary only and i just wait until ferm is finished, and toss the hops on top of the primary. I would probably do around 2 ounces. More or less depending on what your goal is for the beer.

I dry hopped mine with centenial. It's almost ready to drink and has to be one of the best beers I have made.

I am already thinking 10 gallons wasn't enough.

Any beer with 'IPA' in its name should be dry hopped; repeatedly if necessary. I also concur that using different hops produces more complex aroma.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna do 2 oz of Centennial for 5 days. I already have 2 oz of cascade hops already.

Back