good ebay deal on Little Giant 3-MD-HC pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am hold for customer service to see if I can find out what that sticker might mean.

I did notice a very small scratch on my pump near the sticker and it looks like that scratch had been covered up with a small paint brush and black paint.

I'm hoping that the sticker just means that the pump was checked-out because of the scratch, deemed to be "just fine", touched up with paint, and then sold at a discount to trader-drew as a blemished "factory second".

I couldn't care less about the scratch. If my pump is healthy, I'm happy.

Well, Trader_Drew sold these pumps as "NEW", so I take that to mean that they are, um....NEW....not refurbed. I wonder if LG changed the design of the pump housing, as in, the housing...not the entire pump is an investigated component?

Keep us posted on this, guys....have you guys actually tried pumping fluids with them?

I bet if that polypropylene head doesn't hold up, you can get teh high temp head that matches that motor. then you wont be out the whole shooting match, just the cost of the low temp head.

The website list polypropylene as a max temp of 275F. The 2-MD is rated for 150 with the same material. It might also have to do with the PSI maybe? Im the type of person who is hands on. I need to see things work and what happens when things go wrong. I'll give the 2-MD some runs and if it $hits the bed...well Im out the money. But if it works. Heck, I win.

could it be the o ring they use? i really don't see why this pump would not handle higher operating temps. i might just pick one up from eBay to.

I am still on hold. I think their phone system is messed up, because I called yesterday, got a greeting message, was put into Music Hell, and then eventually (5 minutes?) got through to someone.

Today, I just keep getting the greeting message over and over. Not that I want to go back to Music Hell, but I think the system is not kicking me over after the greeting properly.

Anyway....

Mine looks brand new, too. I don't think it was refurbished at all. I'm just wondering if it somehow got scratched at the factory during assembly, had to be looked at to make sure it was OK, and then was shipped out after touching up the scratch with paint.

Heck, if the pump works just fine and runs great. I wouldn't worry about the sticker. But it would be interesting to find out what it means. Also, I'm sure the pump is under some time of warranty. If It arrived new in its original box with the documentation.

I'll have to try calling back some other time. I should probably tend to my real job. :D

If anyone else tries called and manages to get through to the company (800-956-0000 - it answers as "Franklin Electric" which confused me the first time), post any info you get here....

I asked trader-drew about the sticker, and he said that they all have that and that hs is NOT buying factory seconds or anything. I am still going to get in touch with the company to ask them myself, but......

I don't think we have anything to worry about here. Take a look at Little Giant's website directly. Even the pictures on their website have that sticker on them for many pumps, right there on the smaller diameter part where the motor connects to the plastic head (which is where mine was located)....

Taken directly from this page: http://lgpc.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?ProductID=698
581604-TE-3-MD-HC-L.gif

And here is a picture of the 2-MD-SC pump which has the sticker more easily visible:
580513-2-MD-SC-L.gif

Any reason you are assuming your march pump will die?

Two potential reasons:

1) Fresh out of the box, I decided that it needed a longer power cord. In the process of disassembling the motor, I broke the ceramic bushing on the motor end; Now only part of the bushing remains and the thing sounds like a chattering lawnmower when it runs.

2) If I don't get the priming problems with this pump fixed, I'm going to throw it across the garage.

2) If I don't get the priming problems with this pump fixed, I'm going to throw it across the garage.

I had that same issue. Rotated the head every way inlet down, to the side, up. I gave up on it. Many have great luck with the March I just did not. Moved on to a different brand and never looked back.

Latest posts

Back