Good Deal On Kegging Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
Hey all -

I am finally venturing into kegging. I've been searching the web for a few weeks on finding the best deal for my needs. Unfortunately there is a plethora of options out there and my head is starting to spin.

Link to deal here

I'm not looking to go through Craigslist (personal preference).

Wondering if anyone has experience with this company/brand or other comments on this set-up?

Thanks in advance

I guess I would say that it isn't too bad a deal, since it comes with the kegs. You did notice that it does not come with the CO2 tank though, right? And it only comes with picnic taps? I guess it really depends on what you are going to try to do with it. Are you looking to build a kegerator? Because you will need the shanks and taps for that. I went through www.kegconnection.com when they had their big sale this fall. They have a lot more options to customize what you want. And you can generally find kegs on this website for fairly cheap. Otherwise, I know www.homebrewsupply.com usually sells used ball locks for under $60 and they run sales all the time. Again, it kind of depends on what you are wanting to do.

I guess I would say that it isn't too bad a deal, since it comes with the kegs. You did notice that it does not come with the CO2 tank though, right? And it only comes with picnic taps? I guess it really depends on what you are going to try to do with it. Are you looking to build a kegerator? Because you will need the shanks and taps for that. I went through www.kegconnection.com when they had their big sale this fall. They have a lot more options to customize what you want. And you can generally find kegs on this website for fairly cheap. Otherwise, I know www.homebrewsupply.com usually sells used ball locks for under $60 and they run sales all the time. Again, it kind of depends on what you are wanting to do.

Yes I noticed no co2 tank. And I did notice they are only picnic taps. I am not building a kegerator. Just gonna slap it in my fridge for now (don't want to get into why).

I will check out your link and see what I can find there.

I already checked out homebrew supply and nothing really stands out at the moment.

Keg Outlet has some sales but I prefer a larger tank.

OK quick update -

I compared the prices to your link to keg connections and my original. Here is what I ended up at.

Yes, this is with shipping :)

Adventures in homebrewing right now is running a sale on brand new kegs at $75. Damn good deal. I only was going for one keg but this is too good to pass up.

Beverage factory has a deal of everything to get started with a 2 keg dispenser including co2 tank for $172 shipping.

I then can buy two brand new kegs at a little bit more than it costs for a used one. So bringing my total to around $320 or so.

I may just settle back and just do a single dispenser but I know one day I will want 2. It may cost me more later to convert so doing it now could make sense.

Sounds like a good deal. Just a heads up, I only got 2 kegs when I bought mine and wished I had gotten more. I ended up getting a couple more later and am still thinking about getting more. If you brew much, its nice to be able to put it in a keg and carbonate it. Then you have some waiting when your keg blows rather than having to wait for it. :D

Sounds like a good deal. Just a heads up, I only got 2 kegs when I bought mine and wished I had gotten more. I ended up getting a couple more later and am still thinking about getting more. If you brew much, its nice to be able to put it in a keg and carbonate it. Then you have some waiting when your keg blows rather than having to wait for it. :D

I'm actually brewing 2 batches this weekend. So initially I thought about 2 kegs so I can drop both in.

However, I will be opening a home brew supply shop in a few months so I'm thinking about money now being spent on items that will cost me much less later. That's my current battle :)

One thing to keep in mind about co2 tanks. A lot of refill places swap out tanks when you go to get a refill. You may want to check with your local refil/weldingl place and see how they handle that. It may not be worth purchasing a brand new tank or a tank at all if they have a refill/swap program.

One thing to keep in mind about co2 tanks. A lot of refill places swap out tanks when you go to get a refill. You may want to check with your local refil/weldingl place and see how they handle that. It may not be worth purchasing a brand new tank or a tank at all if they have a refill/swap program.

Good suggestion - thanks

This is good advice. You don't want to spend money on a new shiny tank only to have to trade it in for a dirty grungy one when you fill it. I get mine through Praxair if you have one of those nearby.

Hey all -

I am finally venturing into kegging. I've been searching the web for a few weeks on finding the best deal for my needs. Unfortunately there is a plethora of options out there and my head is starting to spin.

Link to deal here

I'm not looking to go through Craigslist (personal preference).

Wondering if anyone has experience with this company/brand or other comments on this set-up?

Thanks in advance

I actually purchased a similar setup from Birdman brewing a couple years ago and have been very happy. I think for a cheaper price you can upgrade to a taprite regulator. Looking back, I might have upgraded to a dual body regulator. Customer service was very nice and even added the option for longer line length at my request.

http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-2-tap-standard-homebrew/

Side question and this is probably stupid.

If I run two kegs from one of these base set-ups then both kegs must be carbed the same right? What type of regulator would I need to run two kegs but have different carb levels?

Or maybe it's not the regulator or another attachment?

You can get a dual regulator that allows you to control the CO2 to both kegs. There are also CO2 distributors that allow you to do the same.

Side question and this is probably stupid.

If I run two kegs from one of these base set-ups then both kegs must be carbed the same right? What type of regulator would I need to run two kegs but have different carb levels?

Or maybe it's not the regulator or another attachment?

A dual body regulator will control two different kegs at a different pressure. If only a single body regulator, you could add secondary regulators that can control individual kegs. This comes in handy if controlling more than two kegs. I've found most beers I make have same desired carbonation levels, but in the event I want to serve one at a different pressure I don't have that option unless its the only keg on tap.

A dual body regulator will control two different kegs at a different pressure. If only a single body regulator, you could add secondary regulators that can control individual kegs. This comes in handy if controlling more than two kegs. I've found most beers I make have same desired carbonation levels, but in the event I want to serve one at a different pressure I don't have that option unless its the only keg on tap.

I typically carb the same but I have a 'house' beer that I carb much higher than the others so I was wondering.

Back