Good CL find or $10 wasted?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddnaud

Reaction score
Finally joined the forums after several months of lurking and absorbing a ton of info. :)

I purchased a Better Bottle on CL today for $10 since I'm on a budget. Was a bit dusty but looked good on purchase. Got it home and cleaned it and discovered what appears to be an internal scratch (see pic, above wheat). ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395011756.560954.jpg

Did I just waste $10, or do I need to RDWHAHB? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well, if I were to compare it to my buckets, I'd say it was worth a try.

There are going to be a few that insist you not use it.

The down side might be an infected batch of beer. I'd guess not. The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to gamble the cost of ingredients and the value of your time.

I would sterilize it and try it myself.

RDWHAHB.

Rinse it out, dump a cup of hydrogen peroxide (2% or 3%) in there and swirl it around. Let it set. Rinse it out, good to go, The H2O2 will destroy any colonies. I won't guarantee it works 100% of the time. It has worked for me on buckets with minor scratches.

Thanks for the advice, gents. I think I'll give it a go after a good wash and sanitizing.

The bottling bucket I use was purchased back in 2001. It has many scratches in it by now. I know some would think I'm crazy still using it, but I haven't had any infected batches. I'll keep using it until I scratch a hole right through it.

Are you sure those scratches are on the inside? I suppose you could stick a bottling brush in there and go to town, but otherwise I can't see what else would cause that on the inside.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. There are many more important things to "worry" about at this time then your fermenter might have a scratch, and best not to "worry" about those either, clean it, soak it w/ oxi clean, sanitize and have fun!

racked to secondary yesterday. so far, so good. thanks again all for your feedback.

Latest posts

Back