Good, cheap brewing scale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good, reliable scale for weighing grain? 10-20lbs would be cool.

thanks

I got an escali scale from northern brewer but I think it's only good up to 11 pounds. I usually weigh out some and put them into a bigger container for bigger beers.

I have an escali good to 11 lbs. Really good for hop additions. Not sure how it would work measuring 20 pounds of grain, but I guess it would be easy enough to do two measurements.

I like the Ultraship 55. It's $28.65 with free shipping. I did buy the AC adapter to go with it but it can run on batteries as well. It can weigh things as light as .01 ounce and as has a 55lb capacity.

I like it because I can weigh out my hops as well as my grain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked this up from Harbor Freight. It only goes up to 11 pounds but for me that is not a big deal. I usually order the base grain I need in 5 and 10 pound bags so if a recipe calls out for 17 pounds I just weigh out 2lbs and use the pre-measured bags.

If you are buying 50 pounds sack then you could use this and weigh grain twice. No big deal IMHO. HB often has 10% coupons available and that is taken off the sale price.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-scale-95364.html

I like the Ultraship 55. It's $28.65 with free shipping. I did buy the AC adapter to go with it but it can run on batteries as well. It can weigh things as light as .01 ounce and as has a 55lb capacity.

I like it because I can weigh out my hops as well as my grain.

Wow! If I ever need another scale this will be the one!

Last edited by a moderator:
For weighing grains I have heard a hanging scale would work really well. Can be found fairly cheap on eBay. The ones I looked at were for luggage but would work for grains up to 110lbs.

A good postal scale will serve you well.

Got mine on Ebay - it is a Weighmax, works well.

erockomania said:
Anyone know of a good, reliable scale for weighing grain? 10-20lbs would be cool.

thanks

Biggest loser scale is only $19.99 at any wally world good up to 11 pounds.

I use a digital kitchen scale so I can weigh out hops, oak, carbonating sugar, spices and whatever else. I can't weigh out an entire 5 gallon batch of grain on it all at once, but it's no hassle to weigh in batches, especially if I'm using just a few ounces of specialty grain.

I use the Escali Primo Scale bought from NB. It seems very accurate and repeatable. It's under $30.

I use my fish scale, just hang a big bag or bucket off of it. It goes up to like 50lbs or so.

Back