Going too far too soon...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is nuts... my friend keeps teasing me that I should turn one of my bedrooms into a brewery. I live alone so I have extra room in the house. OMG... I just caught myself in one of the bedrooms looking where I could put a s.s. deep sink, shelves and fridge! Plumb the sink through the wall to the bathroom right on the other side for water and drainage, pull up the carpet and build some shelves.
Hmmm, one question... I would be using propane burners in there so I need some kind of ventilation. Don't think I will go as far as putting holes in the celing and roof to vent it but I think I will look for alternatives :rolleyes: Any ideas?

Ohhh, just thought about it... adjacent to the room on another wall is the furnace. That already has vents going to the roof. I may be in there!

Let's think this one over a bit more....you may or may not want to be a candidate for a Darwin Award.

It is illegal, and a bit stupid, to store propane indoors, especially inside your apartment. Many places do not even allow a BBQ cooker on your balcony.

Why don't you just do all of your cooking outside where there's plenty of ventilation?

After you brew it would be OK to do everything else inside.

Good luck. :D

House not apartment... would be stored in garage but used inside (if I did this)... just a crazy idea anyway, I really don't think I want to do this to my house! I was just thinking how convenient it would be to have everything right there together. A big deep sink, boiling equipment, counter space, fridge etc... As it is now, I run from my garage to the kitchen to the room where I store my equipment. Just posting cause for the past three months that I have been in this hobby I have enjoyed it immensely. I think I drew the line when I was considering ripping up all the carpet in there! You should have seen my setups when I was in the salt water reef tank hobby :D Tanks, barrels, pumps, lighting, u.v. sterilizers, coolers, metal halide lighting power supplies... This stuff was pumped / wired from one room into the large walk in closet next to it. Only reason I got out of that hobby is because I moved. My new location has no local pet stores worth a darn and mail ordering brewing equip is much more reliable than ordering corals and fish...
Darwin Award... do I get a big trophey with that? :) (and yes, I know what you are referring to)

It's good to know your limitations....

Why don't you just convert your garage into a brewery? I would think that would be easier (if it's attached to the house). Store your equipment there too.

I actually have another full kitchen in the basement. The house came with a gas stove and freezer (among other things). I had to replace the counters upstairs and I moved the bar section to the basement. My daughter was re-doing her kitchen and I got some of the cabinets and layed the counter (bar) on top of them for counter space. Everything is not in their permanent place yet as I have to complete some more drywalling. Afterwards I'll finish it up all nicelike.

All my supplies are in an adjoining room and in two stainless steel medical cabinets. I should have completed that room during the winter, but I travel too much and have to fit my projects into the timeframe I have at home. I dislike breaking up a project into stages.

I've only been home twice for two weeks in a row. Other than that I've been on the road every other week.

I'm going out again on Sunday for 2 weeks in NJ.

Enough of my ramble. Later.

homebrewer_99 said:
Let's think this one over a bit more....you may or may not want to be a candidate for a Darwin Award.

It is illegal, and a bit stupid, to store propane indoors, especially inside your apartment. Many places do not even allow a BBQ cooker on your balcony.

Why don't you just do all of your cooking outside where there's plenty of ventilation?

After you brew it would be OK to do everything else inside.

Good luck. :D

While I agree that is not smart to store propane indoors, the laws that say you can't do this are somewhat outdated. Modern cylinders (ones that are around five years old or newer) won't operate and dispense product when the valve is open unless an appliance is hooked up to it. Propane leaking and igniting was the primary focus of these laws. The propane and tank industry have made great strides to stop this problem.

The "no BBQ on balconies" rule has nothing to do with propane. That is the result of fire codes in many municipalities and bar charcoal cookers, electric cookers and propane cookers.

I'd be more concerned with trying to vent the fumes from indoors to the outside. Unless you have an industrial sized and powered overhead vent, you'd never get all the toxic byproducts, especially CO, out of the house.

why propain? if you are doing it indoors, why not just run a natural gas line? then you could get a big hood set up to suck the vapors out.

as for a brewery in the house...

i like it mate, it's not going too far imho, i have similar plans for my garage and the first room in the basement that connects to the garage... my man cave arruff that will be the brewery...

upstairs, the kitchen to cook the pub food, and a nice english style pub in the huge front room :) i live in an old victorian house, built in 1889 and am loving the thought of making it a brewpub for me :)

course it will never make it out of commettee stage, as the wife is fiercer than the dems on the judiciary committe ;)

This idea of punching a hole in the wall to access the bathroom drain is the most obsurd thing I've ever heard. What a complete waste of time! All the time it's going to take to make a pretty circle shaped hole, and you're still going to have to walk around that wall to take a leak. Tear down the wall man! If I were single I'd have nothing but beer equipment and toilets.
Oh yeah, beer too.
g

George said:
This idea of punching a hole in the wall to access the bathroom drain is the most obsurd thing I've ever heard. What a complete waste of time! All the time it's going to take to make a pretty circle shaped hole, and you're still going to have to walk around that wall to take a leak. Tear down the wall man! If I were single I'd have nothing but beer equipment and toilets.
Oh yeah, beer too.
g

ROTFLOL! Best laugh I've had all week! :D :p

Wow, I was USAFA bound until they disqualified me. Too much beer drinking for an 18 year old I think. My goal was to fly those. Now I drive a big brown truck. Sometimes I wish I'd lived my youth differently.

Back