Going to Austin, need food, booze, and music suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewskie

Reaction score
Yep, wife and friends and I in a few months are going to Austin. Never been to Texas and am very much looking forward to it. Suggestions on places to eat, drink good beer, hear good music.

Depends on north or south. I only know to about downtown from the north (aside from a few breweries that don't serve food).

From South to North for beer:
Reds porch
Black sheep lodge
Whip in
Bangers (never been myself though)
Austin Ale house
Opal Divines
Draught House
Billy's on Burnet
North by northwest
BJs
Opal Divines Marina (not actually on or near water)
Flix Brewhouse
Home field grill
Brass tap
westside alehouse
BJs (round rock premium outlet)
Walburg German restaurant (way north)

When I'm in Austin the group I run with hangs out at North-by-Northwest. They typically have 6 to 8 of their own brews on tap and all I've tried have been pretty good, and they do have live music a couple/few nights a week...

Cheers!

I just got back from a trip to Austin. Rainey St was one of my favorite places. It's very close to downtown but very different. It's a single street and almost every home is from late 1800's to early 1900's houses that have all been converted into some really cool bars/restaurants/music venues. Every place on the street is awesome but "craft pride" was was a super cool craft beer bar that only carries Texas craft beer. They had approx 50 on the wall when I went. Almost next door is a place called "Bangers" craft beer and gourmet house made sausages and such are the story here. Awesome court yard and nightly music helps the scene there. Have fun and enjoy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

When I'm in Austin the group I run with hangs out at North-by-Northwest. They typically have 6 to 8 of their own brews on tap and all I've tried have been pretty good, and they do have live music a couple/few nights a week...

Cheers!

Thanks man. I'm stoked about the live music and beer. I'm a fiend for good alt country.

I just got back from a trip to Austin. Rainey St was one of my favorite places. It's very close to downtown but very different. It's a single street and almost every home is from late 1800's to early 1900's houses that have all been converted into some really cool bars/restaurants/music venues. Every place on the street is awesome but "craft pride" was was a super cool craft beer bar that only carries Texas craft beer. They had approx 50 on the wall when I went. Almost next door is a place called "Bangers" craft beer and gourmet house made sausages and such are the story here. Awesome court yard and nightly music helps the scene there. Have fun and enjoy!

You're the second person who has mentioned Craft Pride to me. That's now a definite. House made sausages sound great too. Thanks.

There is a food truck called La Barbecue on south first that is simply amazing- and less lines than Franklin's. Free Lone Star beer, which is the right price.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Home Brew mobile app

Brew Exchange is downtown - they have a "stock" ticker for beers. If you go to saltlick in driftwood check out the barbershop or moontower and get on some washers or horseshoes.

Blackstar Coop is a cooperative brewery, pint house pizza has good pizza and tons of taps. Check out some history like Schulz Beergarten, Stubbs or Texas Chili Parlor...

No shortage of food and beer in Austin.

There is a food truck called La Barbecue on south first that is simply amazing- and less lines than Franklin's. Free Lone Star beer, which is the right price.

I would also recommend this place. Heard great things about Franklins too but waiting all morning and afternoon for barbecue wasn't in the cards for me.

This sounds awesome. Thanks man.

Jester King is a bit south for some (right around the corner from my parents' house though) and are open weekends. There is a pizza place at the same place that is supposed to be pretty good, but they at least used to let you bring in your own food.

If you were heading out to Salt Lick (pretty good BBQ, used to be some of the best, still great, but the atmosphere makes it even better), you could stop by Jester King, have a few, graba few bottles and go out to the Salt Lick and drink the beers there (there's even a Salt Lick beer by Jester King so that might be perfect).

When I am in town I usually try to hit up Black Sheep, decent selection and good food (also good tattoo shop next door), but they don't have music there.

There is a new brewery/pub called Austin Beer Garden Brewing Company and they normally have good music on weekends (kind of country/rock stuff). Their beers are pretty solid, talked to the brewmaster one night and he knows his stuff but his system is far too small for their demand. Their biggest problem right now is keeping up with demand. BUT, their food selection is not great.

You will notice a trend that Austin people will steer you away from 6th most of the time. It has become dominated by college students (me 5 years ago) and crappy bars mostly. Now with that in mind, if you can find a show you want to go to, don't be discouraged. Opal's is nice a relaxed and has a decent beer selection and there is a Gingerman in the area too.

BBQ, well everyone loves Franklin's now (haven't been since it started up after I moved), but the Salt Lick is still good. There are plenty of great BBQ places, hell even Rudy's (a gas station) is great. The Salt Lick has a unique sauce though that is Pacific inspired (founder's wife was Japanese).

Back