Going all grain, can HLT = BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjaffy

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new extract and partial mash brewer ready to move to all-grain in an incremental manner. I have access to a 10-gallon cooler that I was going to use as a mash tun so I'm interested in going in that direction vs. BIAB. I don't have 2 good size pots or burners. Is it reasonable to use a single pot as HLT and then as the boil kettle. My pot is 35 qt, so I'll initially just be doing 5 - 6 gallon batches. I understand that I'll be collecting my first runnings in a bucket or something while I (batch) sparge then throwing all the liquid in the pot to use as a boil kettle. Eventually I'll probably buy a keg and convert to keggle or maybe get a penrose kettle, and keep my 35qt as HLT, and get another burner, but until then, is this an acceptable method?

Just try to get your runnings up over 170 as quickly as you can. I've found that doing batch sparges using the same pot for HLT/BK--I can take 20-30 mins until I achieve mash out temps. The other issue is collecting your entire preboil volume in one vessel. If you don't have something that can hold 8 gallons it can be a bit tricky.

I used the rather inefficient method of collecting 6g in my 6.5 g fermenter and then getting that up to boiling as quickly as possible while waiting for the last 1.5g to come down.

So, you can do it...just have to work out the logistics.

It absolutely is. Thats currently how we do it.

Heat up your water, put in in your mash tun for mash

During the mash, heat up water again for sparging. We usually heat it up to 200 or so and then put it in a couple 5 gallon buckets so that we can start lautering into the kettle

use your hot water as needed for sparging.

We only use one burner too. When money is an issue, theres always ways around it......thats why were homebrewers, everyone does it different! :mug:

The issue is that if you don't mash out to 170, enzymes will still be active at a lower temperature while you empty your HLT.

So... Mash out at 170 (add near-boiling water until you get 170F), hold it there for 5-10 minutes, and sparge away to the bucket(s). The moment your HLT/BK is empty, put your runnings into it and start heating it up to get it to a boil.

M_C

Good to hear. I understand the importance of heating above 170 ASAP and that it might be a bit clumsy, but at least I'm hearing that it's reasonable and doable. I'm sure I'll end up picking up a bigger BK and burner sooner than later, but in the meantime, this'll be the way to go.

The issue is that if you don't mash out to 170, enzymes will still be active at a lower temperature while you empty your HLT.

True, but I think many people make a bigger issue out of it than it really is. By the time you're sparging the vast majority of the conversion has already taken place (assuming a proper mash using todays highly modified malts), and the wort profile isn't going to change much at all. Many brewers mash overnight, and the change in the wort profile is barely noticeable even after letting the enzymes work for 8 or more hours.

You can also lock in the profile without doing a mashout by doing as lostboysbrew describes. The BK can be fired up immediately and the runnings will get into denaturing temps as soon as they drain into the kettle.

i used to do it all the time. Especially with batch sparging its simple. Start you mash, heat sparge water so its up to about 190-200. after first runnings are collected in a bucket, add your sparge water to the mash tun. should get you up to 170, stir. Dump your first runnings in the HLT/BK and in 15 mins add the 2nd runnings from the MT.

Back