• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Glycol Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Onate

Reaction score
looking for a glycol chiller that can do 5gal batches in 90* temperatures, wife wants the fermenter out of the house so putting in work shed. In the Atlanta area, willing to pay shipping if out of area. Prefer a stasis but it’s on back order until possibly next year. Thanks.

Without knowing the specifics of your shed or wether you're doing ale or lagers, I'd be super concerned with the energy costs. The average shed can get upwards of 100° when the sun's on it and plummet overnight. Provided alimony isn't cheaper, or you can't just move the wife out to the shed, if you're engineering-inclined, the below ground temp in Atlanta seems to be about 62°... maybe drop a coil and do geo-thermal?

Any particular reason you're wanting a Stasis? I thought they were plagued with issues when they came out. Maybe they've got all of that worked out by now though.

Do you have a temp controller setup already? That can weigh in on your decision. Some of the chillers like the one @Chorgey linked above have temp controllers and pumps built in. That's a nice feature if you don't have one already, but it can become an issue if the controller or pump go out.

I did quite a bit of research before buying mine, best bang for the buck that I found was the BrewBuilt IceMaster 100 on Amazon for $699. Since it's 950W/3200btu, It has a higher cooling capacity than most in it's price range. I'm running 2 fermenters though, usually 11-12gals in each one, so I needed a little more capacity. It does a great job, I can cold crash one batch while still maintaining the temp on the other. I'm in the Atl area as well, but my fermenters are in my garage that's air conditioned, so not a good comparison. At minimum, I'd say you're probably going to want to look into insulating your shed if it isn't already. Here's a link:

Link

Here’s a pic..

631A634F-2737-4ED9-BB23-7F1A71950C07.jpeg

Last edited:
looking for a glycol chiller that can do 5gal batches in 90* temperatures, wife wants the fermenter out of the house so putting in work shed. In the Atlanta area, willing to pay shipping if out of area. Prefer a stasis but it’s on back order until possibly next year. Thanks.
How about a dorm fridge with no freezer section in the garage with an Inkbird controller as a fermentation chamber. Technically not "out of the house" but a whole lot cheaper with more purposes it can be used for.

DIY 18,000 BTU AC unit glycol chiller would do the trick. Lots of threads on here of how to do it. I have 2 that I've done. They are easy to do and might have $150 in each. Ink bird controllers, penguin pump, Marketplace AC unit. Plus 1 on the option of converting a fridge or up right freezer into a fermentation chamber that would hold up to the 90 degree temps just fine.
Edit it probably wouldn't need to be 18,000 BTU I just did that size because it is the largest that I could get that still ran on 110V.

Last edited:
90* temperatures

Prefer a stasis
I would double check the Stasis stats.
If i recall- at room temp they have a limit to how cold they can chill. For most places probably not an issue.
But in a 90+ garage, i do not think you will get close to cold crashing temps.
Also you might have an issue with lagering temps.
I would think for ales it would be OK
Just my $0.02

Latest posts

Back