Glycol Chiller setup with a Blichmann Fermenator Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
Ok so I just dropped $1200 on 2 new Blichmann Fermenators and I want to be able to temp control them. In a perfect world I would be able to keep them in my garage where it gets to about 85F in the summer and 50F in the winter. Im trying to figure out how to go with a Glycol setup to chill to around 64F or so. Has anyone managed to successfully build one? Would I just be better off building a nice ferm chamber that will fit these 2 and if so cant someone point me in the direction for plans on that? Thanks so much!!

I'd go with a ferm chamber. Just make sure it's WELL insulated. I've got my 14g blichmann in a gutted fridge with a ferm-wrap taped to the fridge walls. Believe it or not, the fermwrap can keep the ambient fridge temp @ 70deg even when it's below 32 in the garage.

What size fridge are u using? And do you use a temp controller with it?

Don't know the size of the fridge. It's an older fridge that was given to me. I gutted everything in it and the fermenter just barely fits.

chiller-300x225.jpg

I'm using this temp controller:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16664/102282/Ranco_Digital_Two-Stage_Temperature_Controller_-_Wired with the heater plugged into one, and the fridge plugged into the other.

This maybe obvious, but the key is to have the chamber @ the right temp when racking... and have the wort cooled as close to your ferm temp as possible (I was getting it too cold with the therminator, and it would take forever to start). This way, the heater only has to maintain the ambient temp which is pretty easy with good insulation. If I were doing a chamber for two fermenters, I'd probably use a small space heater instead of the fermwrap, but for my small space... it does the job nicely.

Latest posts

Back