Glycol chiller placement? (vertical)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyAndApple

Reaction score
I'm on the verge of buying a glycol chiller. The only problem is I live in an apartment so minimizing the footprint is paramount.

So I thought of put two fermenters on middle shelving of a heavy duty rack and glycol chiller on the bottom. (And store eBIAB unit on top)

I had assumed it'd be possible Unfortunately it seems like it's best to have the chiller on the same level as fementers due pump strength(?).

I'm wondering if anyone using the setup I typed above.

I'd think any chiller would be able to handle the ~3' of head pressure if the fermenter is above the chiller. If considering a particular brand, it may be worth a quick email to customer service to verify.

My Penguin sits about 5 inches above the floor; the pump is probably 8 inches above the floor. I'm pumping glycol solution into the top of my Spike conical, which is about...oh, maybe 5 feet above the floor. No problems with that much "head."

Back