Glycol Chiller in HOT Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaltyWalty

Reaction score
I have decided that I have to replace my Glycol Chiller. I bought an Icemaster 100, AKA Loudmaster, AKA Leakmaster. I am tired of dealing with the fan noise, where I had to bend the blades back into place to get the unit to run after receiving new and tired of dealing with Glycol/Water mix ending up randomly on my garage floor.

I have decided on a Penguin Chiller - now the question, what size do I need?

I've referred to both Spike and Penguin's sizing guides, and with only 3 - 7gal conicals, I should be able to cold crash three at once with 900 BTUs, putting me at the 1/3HP unit. Then further guidance for working in a high temp ambient environment (South Florida Garage) is to upsize to the next model, putting me at 1/2 HP.

The question is: Is 2 gallons of glycol/water mix enough for for maintaining and crashing on three conicals AND should I upsize again due to the incredibly high ambient?

My experience with the Icemaster is that cold crashing in the summer is iffy - I can only get down to around 40F.

Thanks for any guidance, especially from others working in a hot climate.

I would think bigger the better . I have a 10 gallon reservoir chiller that I use with my Spike cf5. A 2 gallon reservoir would have temp fluctuations more then a larger amount of coolant. However it will chill back down quicker but it will be pumped back through coil faster so that could be counter productive.

Latest posts

Back