Gluhwein recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302w

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good Gluhwein recipe?

I've searched, but haven't seen much. Most involve mulling finished wine.

I do have four gallons of Yooper's Grape Juice wine fermenting and I'd love to use that recipe as a base.

Glühwein *is* mulled wine...

My wife is German... We do Glühwein every year. She often cheats and gets little mulling spice teabags from Germany but we've also done it from scratch... Ingredients in tea bag: Orange rind, cinnamon, cardamom ,cloves, sweet blackberry leaves.

We'll use a few tea bags (3ish? 4ish?) for 2 bottles of 3-buck Chuck cabernet from Trader Joes, plus 1/2-3/4 wine bottle full of water, 1 additional cinnamon stick, juice of 2-4 oranges, and 1 whole orange thinly sliced (skin and all)... All tossed into a pot. Heated on the stove just below a simmer. Add a bit of sugar to taste, but the OJ often has enough sweetness..

Here's one that looks similar to what we do when we run out of the teabags:
https://germangirlinamerica.com/gluhwein/This recipe adds brandy... We don't...

But we do optionally add a shot of rum to the mug (mit Schuss) if we want a bit more Glüh (glow)

Here are tea bags

1631039325493.png

Maybe some of the HBTers in Germany can chime in, too...

Last edited:
I've actually been very fortunate to have been able to buy bottled gluhwein. Perhaps it is a farce, but I've enjoyed it.

Are there any recipes for a spiced 'holiday' wine?

Yes, that's it indeed. Brotherhood Winery also sells a ton of their famous "Holiday" wine.

I think I will try a few one gallon batches to experiment. Perhaps next Christmas I'll have a recipe for gifts!

Latest posts

Back