Glass carboy with hole on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BeerGrylls said:
What about keeping a stir bar in the neck with a keeper magnet. When it comes time to drop out, just gently rotate the bar around the circumference.

Well there you go! I'm not planning on doing this at all but that is a pretty stinkin good idea!

Just do what you want to do, and go with it, and let us know how it turns out. Kuddos to you for trying a new experiment. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't, at least you tried something new. Cheers to that.

I would still say that while you won't be able to get all the yeast out of the inverted carboy you would still be able to harvest some of the yeast. I also still believe with a whirlpool in the carboy most of the trub would setting near the neck and be capable of being dumped before pitching the yeast. This is especially true if that valve neck is closed at the bottom and allowed to fill. Might take 2 whirlpools but that trub would be gone.

Just brew up a simple Smash recipe and see how it works. No one really knows that is answering here until you try it for real. All the rest are guesses. If it works it works, if not, at least you tried. Cheers.

Add a vibrator to the side? Can't take credit for this idea. I think passdown suggested it in a different application.

What about keeping a stir bar in the neck with a keeper magnet. When it comes time to drop out, just gently rotate the bar around the circumference.

Go figure, my idea that led to a "have you thought of using magic" reply also led to another idea that just may have merit. Wow...free exchange of ideas...novel concept.

Magic is still the more elegant solution though. ;)

I would think dragging a stir bar through settled yeast would simply send it back up into suspension, rather than causing it to slide down the (shallow sloped) shoulder and down into the neck of the carboy.

But I guess some of that re-suspended yeast would settle in the neck instead of back onto the shoulder, so if you did it a few times, it might work. But sounds like a PITA.

With a better bottle, one could hang it upside down, hang something heavy from the neck, partially fill it with really hot water, and stretch it out so the slope is far more severe. Better Bottles are shrinky dinks... heat them and stretch them any way you want. Look what my friend did to 2 of his:

jons-melted-better-bottles-56250.jpg
Seems like it would weaken the neck on an inverted container holding 5g of water too much. Also, I can't imagine it's necessarily good for it. :) Still seems like a heavyweight mold wouldn't be a huge cost premium though.

To the OP....

Would you please just brew some beer and use the thing so we can all find out how it worked for you?

Looks pretty cool. Not sure I'd cut a hole in any of my glass carboys, but I am interested in the results. Even if the beer spills out all over the floor. I just gotta know man....

I JUST gots 'ta know.....

To the OP....

Would you please just brew some beer and use the thing so we can all find out how it worked for you?

Looks pretty cool. Not sure I'd cut a hole in any of my glass carboys, but I am interested in the results. Even if the beer spills out all over the floor. I just gotta know man....

I JUST gots 'ta know.....

The longer he leaves it, the more of us that will start thinking he already has and just doesn't want to admit Denny was right :D
OP please show us the full fermenter already :D

The longer he leaves it, the more of us that will start thinking he already has and just doesn't want to admit Denny was right :D
OP please show us the full fermenter already :D

My thoughts exactly. Or the whole thing collapsed causing great bodily injury leaving the OP dead or severely disabled and stuck in a lonely hospital ICU thinking "DAMN YOU HBT!!!!!". And thus Denny's new arch enemy was born. I have a vivid imagination:D

On your stand, the piece of plywood that the carboy is inverted and resting on, I would recommend replacing your current piece with another piece and cut the opening against the grain of the wood. It wouldn't hurt to double it up either.

He's dead I tell ya! D-E-A-D!!!!!! Oh the humanity! So soon! So young? So inventive! Tis a cruel cruel world we live in where tampering with another's tried and true product could lead to such horrible outcome. Damn you cruel world..... Guess he put the DIe in DIY? Oh well, I hear Kansas City sucks anyway. :D

He's dead I tell ya! D-E-A-D!!!!!! Oh the humanity! So soon! So young? So inventive! Tis a cruel cruel world we live in where tampering with another's tried and true product could lead to such horrible outcome. Damn you cruel world..... Guess he put the DIe in DIY? Oh well, I hear Kansas City sucks anyway. :D

Hahaha! I got a good laugh out of that! You may just be right.

With a better bottle, one could hang it upside down, hang something heavy from the neck, partially fill it with really hot water, and stretch it out so the slope is far more severe. Better Bottles are shrinky dinks... heat them and stretch them any way you want. Look what my friend did to 2 of his:

jons-melted-better-bottles-56250.jpg

Yeah, the bottles are blow-molded from a bottle blank, the same way a soda bottle is. If you heat 'em without any support from the inside, they attempt to shrink back to their original blank.

The way to make this work is to maintain a bit of pressure in the bottle while heating it. Some sort of fitting which would allow you to feed in compressed air would be necessary. Heating the bottle evenly so that it conforms to its new mold would be the PITA. It isn't something a guy is going to be able to do with a heatgun and no fixturing.

Yeah, the bottles are blow-molded from a bottle blank, the same way a soda bottle is. If you heat 'em without any support from the inside, they attempt to shrink back to their original blank.

The way to make this work is to maintain a bit of pressure in the bottle while heating it. Some sort of fitting which would allow you to feed in compressed air would be necessary. Heating the bottle evenly so that it conforms to its new mold would be the PITA. It isn't something a guy is going to be able to do with a heatgun and no fixturing.

What about placing the bottle upside down in the new mold, "attach" a hose to the neck and pump near boiling water into the bottle?

Read entire thread. I laughed. I cried. Now my gears are turning.

15 gallon
ForumRunner_20130925_222935.jpg

5 gallon
ForumRunner_20130925_222952.jpg

Oh, and I have a full set of glass hole saws from my past obsession... fish tanks.

Read entire thread. I laughed. I cried. Now my gears are turning.

15 gallon

5 gallon

Oh, and I have a full set of glass hole saws from my past obsession... fish tanks.

Those might actually work! Would love to see what you could do with them. On a side note what does your name mean?

His car is fast

To be honest, I think I should change my name to "wasfast4door" considering my car hasn't been on the road in 8 yrs. It's just the name I've been using for a long time. I have a Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, number 1195/2000 made that year for the US. It was fast. Speed takes money and time... I'm liking homebrewing much more these days.
Back on topic...
I think the necks of either of my bottles (are they called demijons?) Are much steeper than a carboy. 5 gallon one seems like thinner glass tho and the 15 doesn't fit in my ferm chamber. I've been trying to figure our what to do with them since SWMBO brought them home from a yard sale last year.

Denny said:
Be very, very careful. Generally the glass in a demijohn is thinner than a carboy.

That's the first thing I thought my buddy has three of the 15 gallon demijohns and I won't even touch them because of how thin they are. I'm pretty sure you aren't suppose to move them full without that special carrier.

Be very, very careful. Generally the glass in a demijohn is thinner than a carboy.
Denny is right, these are thinner glass. The green one seems really thin as it's quite light. I'm not sure that I need another project in my life right now (I am at work, sober, thinking more clearly than last night). I will hold off for now. I think it would work though. I've drilled many holes in fish tanks with 3/16" glass with no issues. Slow and steady wins the race.

Denny is right, these are thinner glass. The green one seems really thin as it's quite light. I'm not sure that I need another project in my life right now (I am at work, sober, thinking more clearly than last night). I will hold off for now. I think it would work though. I've drilled many holes in fish tanks with 3/16" glass with no issues. Slow and steady wins the race.

You got this! :cross: Whats the worst that can happen.:D Go home, drink some beers and then really think about how much of a man you are and get it done. Don't forget to live stream on youtube with a link posted on here.:fro: (seriously probably a really bad idea. I have seen first hand what a carboy can do to people and it has kept me from touching glass in brewing) What am I saying? Don't want to be a nay say'er! DO IT!!!!!:D

You got this! :cross: Whats the worst that can happen.:D Go home, drink some beers and then really think about how much of a man you are and get it done. Don't forget to live stream on youtube with a link posted on here.:fro: (seriously probably a really bad idea. I have seen first hand what a carboy can do to people and it has kept me from touching glass in brewing) What am I saying? Don't want to be a nay say'er! DO IT!!!!!:D

Nice. Can I send you the bill for the ER visit requiring stitches?

Nice. Can I send you the bill for the ER visit requiring stitches?

You are gonna have to wait till Obamacare kicks in. But stitches would be a blessing. The call I went on was a lot more than stitches. The poor schmuck was damn near dead when I got there and spent quite some time in surgery. From what I heard he still has issues opening and closing his hand. I would figure that fish tanks are a hell of a lot easier to work on given the thickness compared to a demi. Gotta be tough with all those little kids tapping on them.

I wonder if the OP is ever coming back to this thread, or brewing for that matter.......
Best I can tell, he was last here on sept. 11th.
He did say he was busy with life.
I'll just be patient and wait for his results.

Latest posts

Back