Give The Carboy a "Nudge"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddle_Head

Reaction score
So Wed night I made an AHS clone of Sierra Nevada. Hit OG no problem. Transferred about the first 2 gallons to carboy with about a 3 foot drop, shook to insane levels. Transferred last 3 gallons, with again a good drop into the carboy, and shook it pretty well again. I had about 6" of foam in the carboy after the transfer from all the shaking/aerating. I sprinkled the dry yeast on top (Danstar), wort temp was ~60F, and moved carboy down to the basement. In moving the carboy I mixed the yeast a bit into the wort.

Anyway, so I'm almost at 72 hrs (like the sticky up above says- and I've read it all). Still no signs of fermentation. I've got a blowoff tube in the carboy, going into a jug of sanitizer. The original aeration foam died down in a day, no krauzen, nor any of the signs of a quick rising/falling krauzen (cling to the sides of the carboy, etc.) Nor any signs of bubbles in the sanitizer jug, which usually hang around even after the krauzen has died. No signs of infection either.

Temp according to the fermometer on the outside of the carboy started about 58F and is up to about 66F now. Carboy is in a somewhat insulated water bath with an aquarium heater. Water temp is mirroring fermometer readings. It's a bit warm in the Valley right now.

So I don't wanna just pitch more yeast. I'm thinking about giving the carboy a bit of a gentle shake. I see alot of trub (despite using a chiller and whirlpooling during cooling), and I'm wondering if maybe the yeast is mixed in a bit with the trub and a good nudge might be needed to shake it loose and get it going.

I know there are differing philosophies on this topic. But would love some veteran input here.

Thanks

have you taken a gravity reading to be sure that fermentation hasn't started? at cool temps like you describe, you may not have much activity.

But, if fermentation hasn't started yet, giving the carboy a "nudge" won't cause any harm.

My only concern would be that with your wort starting at 60*F, and you basement at 58*F (yes, I know you said you're up to ~66*F now), that your yeasties just haven't completely woken up yet to a noticeable degree.

Back