Give something back

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantsmachine

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I spent a lot of time on this site about 18 months back while deciding how i was going to build my next brewery. Great site with lots of ace projects. I started a beer blog in June with the built brewery on it and my beermaking. Its been a few months and there are a few brewdays and recipes on it now along with some of my general pish, Have a look if you fancy it. Might get some ideas, might give me some ideas, who knows? Anyway, cheers to you all especially the guys who did conical fermenter projects. Those were the jump start for me.

If you like IPA's there might be something here worth reading! If you don't know about IPA's prepare to be enlightened! :)

P.

http://bennachiebrewery.blogspot.com/

You dryhop the morning after pitching yeast? Did I read that right? If so, you are probably losing a lot of aroma as the yeast expels CO2 and aroma compounds...I wait until after the majority of fermentation is complete to add dry hops so that the aroma compounds stay in the beer instead of being scrubbed out and expelled in CO2 by the yeast...just my two cents...

I agree completely with the aroma losses through fermentation cycle. Sadly, In this case i had no choice as i was off on holiday 2 days after brewing. I then returned home on a Friday to go offshore on the Sunday so it was rush rush to prime and bottle! I have been toying with the idea of a 'real' barrel and trying ageing and dry hopping in it over a number of months. Might just stick to a cypherco plastic 9 gallon one and age in that. Any of you guys try long term dry hopping? Thinking 3 months or so? Thanks for the input, this hobby is truly fractal! Also, thanks for the clicks guys, hope you found some entertainment on the blog. Four hits from Peru, now that's cool. :)

I've found that the effects of dryhopping diminish greatly if left in too long. I used to dry hop for a few weeks, but now I think that a week to 10 days is the sweet spot. Due to a lack of free time from the recent addition to the family I left a beer on dry hops for 9 weeks, and it has very little hop aroma, and the hop flavor has diminished too.

I know what you mean Juan, its trying to hit the point where there's more going into the beer than venting off. I normally dry hop for a week and call it good. I also freeze my dry hops and use them as FWH on the next brew that suits their style.

This beer had been dry hopped this morning with 3 1/2 Oz of Citra and an ounce of Pacific Gem. The smell from the fermenter is totally outstanding! Almost all activity ceased so minimal hop oil molecule losses expected! There's a definete need to repipe slightly to allow the copper recirculation to be a permenant part of my brewery.

http://bennachiebrewery.blogspot.com/

Back