Ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing with real ginger. The LHBS said I should use very little. I have no idea how much very little is... so thus my post :)

How much ginger should I use to give a slight ginger flavor and aroma. I don't really want the earthy taste of ginger, nor the heat, but rather that very defined taste.

It would be nice if I could get some advice on how to prep the ginger aswell.

Talking to brewtopia he recommended 2oz at flameout and 2oz at secondary. Anyone else have any experience/advice to give me on this one.

Looking at Beersmiths information on Ginger Root it says :
Add 12 minutes from boils end
Adds distinctive ginger flavor for Ginger Ales, Holiday Beers. Fresh grated ginger root from the grocer is best. As little as 1/2 ounce per 5 gallons is noticable, but up to 4 oz can be used for ginger ales.

Thx, Digdan
:mug:

Yeah I think Papazian says anywhere from 1/4 oz to 4 oz per 5 gallon batch. I think he just suggests to grate it fresh into the boil, but without looking I can't be certain. If you are doing a light bodied ale, this will probably come through a bit more than a maltier ale. I am not sure how much the primary scrubs it out though, having never used it myself. I would go light (1/4 oz) in the boil and then if you feel the need, later on you could probably put some in the secondary. Not sure though.

I'd go with 1/2 oz. @ 15 min., since you don't want the ginger to be a dominate flavor.

4 oz. would give you a ginger beer, with the ginger over-riding everything else.

I bottled "Goat Scrotum Ale" from Papazian 10 days ago (brewed 10-14).

He calls for a bunch of stuff to be added - I added 6 oz of Baker's chocolate, 4 oz of ginger root and a couple really hot peppers. I grated the ginger with a micro-plane and added it with the chopped peppers at the beginning. Papazian says to add the chocolate at the beginning also but I asked my HBS owner about it and he advised to add 15 minutes before the end. I think at the beginning would have been better. The fibers from the ginger tended to clog the siphon every time I racked because they wouldn't settle out Maybe a grain bag for the ginger and pepper would be the answer.

Couldn't wait so opened a bottle tonight. My wife said "that doesn't taste like beer." I thought it was pretty good for a green beer - has a lot of promise.

The chocolate was prominent - should be called a chocolate porter. The ginger didn't stand out at all. I might of been in the background of the chocolate. If I can stand it I'll wait a couple weeks before I open another

You know, the idea of a ginger/pepper/chocolate drink sounds a bit similar to the way the Mayans drank chocolate thousands of years ago. My curiosity is piqued!

Back