Giant grain bag in keggle or false bottom for E-HERMS system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azwillnj

Reaction score
I am designing and building an electric HERMS system and looking into all the fittings and such right now.

False bottoms are expensive.. Has anyone used a massive grain bag, like the whole size of the keggle and a standard center dip tube instead of a false bottom? It would make cleanup really easy too.

I'm also thinking about the sparage arm, I bought a $3 all plastic shower head that comes apart for cleaning, has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks,
Alex.

I just did this Friday. With the cold weather I lost the option of using running water to clean up after brewing. I have a three keg RIMS system. I was thinking the bag would help with clean up (and it did). The cut out top of the keggle mash tun presented some difficulties both getting the bag in and especially getting it out without damaging it. Obviously the swollen sack of grain is heavy and after tying on a rope, looping over a beam hauling the bag up to drain, it proved to be a bit of a challenge getting it out. I ended up putting the keg on its side and that seemed to be the solution. It would have been impossible in the upright position. I did start with 28# grain for a 10gal batch...probably would have worked great for a 5 gal batch. Make sure the cut out has been smoothed of snags. Good luck

Back