GF Orange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
So, I'll be attempting my first GF brew (SWMBO has the celiacs and misses beer) and she picked out LCassanova's converted DFH recipe. After much research, deliberation and a beer, I thought about making some changes. I was hoping to get some feedback from some more experienced brewers (This will be my 5th or 6th batch)

6 lbs Sorghum Syrup (60 min)
.50 oz Hallertauer, pellet 3.8% (60 min)
.50 oz Tettnang, pellet 4.7% (20 min)
.50 oz Tettnang, pellet 4.7% (10 min)
1 tsp yeast nutrient (20 min)
4 Blood Oranges
1 lb corn sugar (60 min)
1 pkg SafBrew Wheat (WB-06)

I'll be going with above recipe, but I'll swap out Blood Oranges for navels and might add 1. (I have a fridge drawer full) I was going to add the zest from at least one of the oranges either at the last hop addition or flame out.
I was also thinking of steeping the orange pieces and adding thesolution to the fermenter, but freezing the solids and adding (after thawed of course) to the primary after 4 days in a boiled/sanitized nylon mesh bag and then keep in the primary for 7 days thereafter, racking to secondary to clear up for a week, then bottling and letting set in my closet for about 4-6 weeks (it stays 68-70)
I was thinking additions of coriander or/and cloves, but how much and at what point is beyond my pay grade. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Hoowee! Lots of stuff going into this one!

1. Oranges: Sounds fine, and should make up nicely for the lighter flavor vs blood oranges. Adding 2 might be good.

2. Orange Peels: Probably unnecessary, but if you desired you could dry hop with them. I would use a lighter amount than 6 oranges though, maybe one?

3. Coriander/Cloves: Adding spices to a beer is easy, because it actually adds the exact flavor to the beer! Now, coriander matching with orange flavor is a stretch for me. I wouldn't want to add Coriander to orange juice for example. Cloves are closer, but probably pair better with Apple juice, still could be good though.

Anyway, hope this helps some.

I brewed this one on 3/20/11 and i am letting it lager in the fridge for a month before kegging it. SHould be ready to keg with I get back from Mexico!!

Well I brewed this 5/8/11 and last night 5/12, I dumped in my fruit. OG was 1.057 and it was 1.017. My closet this morning smells faintly of oranges, I love it.
Question though, is it normal with sorghum to have next to nothing for a hot break? I have a 6g pot and had 5 gal boiling and worried for nothing about a boil over

Well I brewed this 5/8/11 and last night 5/12, I dumped in my fruit. OG was 1.057 and it was 1.017. My closet this morning smells faintly of oranges, I love it.
Question though, is it normal with sorghum to have next to nothing for a hot break? I have a 6g pot and had 5 gal boiling and worried for nothing about a boil over

Gluten is a chief component in foam. Head retention and boilovers are mostly gone without it.

BTW DK I like the Coffee Stout recipe you have there. I am going to try and convince my wife to give a darker beer an chance.

BTW DK I like the Coffee Stout recipe you have there. I am going to try and convince my wife to give a darker beer an chance.

It came out pretty funky, but I have since become a coffee drinker. I am now convinced that I used too dark a roast. Using something more medium rather than uber-dark would probably come out much better.

When you're ready, let me know and we can discuss further.

So this is what it looks like in the secondary. That bag floating in the primary had 5 large oranges.
OG was 1.054. I added the oranges at 1.015 and today when I racked to secondary to clear some of the bits the reading was at 1.002. Apparently I had some hungry yeast.
About how much could I expect the oranges to contribute to the gravity? I didn't bother taking a reading since the sugars weren't actually in solution. Would adding .010 be appropriate?

image-2658655331.jpg

image-1378960197.jpg

oh and the foam on top is star san. The BB was upside down for about an hour draining, and I still had that much foam. I've heard of people racking onto to more foam than that, but that is an uneasy feeling.
Also that weight of the oranges going is was roughly 4lbs.

oh and the foam on top is star san. The BB was upside down for about an hour draining, and I still had that much foam. I've heard of people racking onto to more foam than that, but that is an uneasy feeling.
Also that weight of the oranges going is was roughly 4lbs.

Dont fear the foam. :D

Also, here's some idea on oranges:
Navel Orange
1 large orange (270g)
Sugars, total: 23g
Calories, total: 132
Calories from sugar: 92

1lb of sugar in 1gal of water will have 46pts SG or 1.046. Hope that helps! I dont have time to do the math right now.

Thanks DK, here is what I came up with:
23g*5=115
115g is approx .25 pounds
That would be 11.5 points in one gallon but I am in 5 total so
11.5/5=2.3 pts
Sound right. My math is typically about as good as my dogs.
So adjusted OG is 1.056 and racking to the secondary came to 1.002.
7.2% now the question is: should I dilute a bit?

So, this is still in secondary just because I have label removing work to do so I can bottle condition. It's clearing up rather nice. It's a hefe I know but it shouldn't be impossible to see through, right. The harsh twang is gone and has been replaced with an orange citrus clovey taste. Is that typical of the yeast? I didn't add cloves. I can't wait to bottle this weekend and let it condition further. This will be great in the hot weather. Well except for the high abv lol. Just a 4 oz taste can make you feel the effects if you've only had a light lunch. Lol maybe this will be a LPR for SWMBO

image-4125581797.jpg

So, this is still in secondary just because I have label removing work to do so I can bottle condition. It's clearing up rather nice. It's a hefe I know but it shouldn't be impossible to see through, right. The harsh twang is gone and has been replaced with an orange citrus clovey taste. Is that typical of the yeast? I didn't add cloves. I can't wait to bottle this weekend and let it condition further. This will be great in the hot weather. Well except for the high abv lol. Just a 4 oz taste can make you feel the effects if you've only had a light lunch. Lol maybe this will be a LPR for SWMBO

It should be impossible to see through, but yours looks impossible to see through. Looks good.

Do not let condition further. This beer is not meant to sit at all, do everything ASAP! If you mean bottle carbonate, then I guess that is a necessary evil, but I generally go grains to glass in 14 days with a hefe, 21 days with a weizenbock (prob closer to what yours is).

Cloves and bananas are common tastes of weizen yeast. WB-06 leans towards cloves.

Do not let condition further. This beer is not meant to sit at all, do everything ASAP! If you mean bottle carbonate, then I guess that is a necessary evil, but I generally go grains to glass in 14 days with a hefe, 21 days with a weizenbock (prob closer to what yours is).

+1- drinking this one young is fantastic! Good work and great changes.

Bottled. I only got 50 bottles out of it. As I filled and placed the caps, some of them jingles from the escaping c02. I was almost nervous to cap em lol. Maybe I just need more swing top pint bottles, or kegging equipment. It tasted delicious and I'm gonna pop on in the fridge next Friday I think. See where it's at. Too bad it won't be ready by Sunday.

oh bottle conditioning...... im paranoid about glass bombs and the mess they make. after i bottle i box up my beers in cardboard boxes then put the whole box in a lidded rubbermaid box. so the mess if they blow is contained to the rubbermaid box. already had to clean a closet once.. and that was a PIA

Cass, mine are in my walk in closet it stays from 67-70 year round. At least it's only around my clothes. Hopefully when we build our house she'll let me insulate and condition the garage and I can brew and store out there. Unless I open a gluten free brewpub I'm limited for the time being

humblestarts.jpg

GFOrange.jpg

GFOrange2.jpg

The results. The wife loves it. The first couple she had the sorghum was really up front, and she made a disgusted face. A day or two later she had another and that smile that crept across her lips was was of approval and then she spoke: "what else can you make that is GF?" I am thinking a nice Pale ale, but seeing as how she never ventured off from the BMC beers, I'm going to have to find a good recipe and the lower IBU range of the style

I am thinking a nice Pale ale, but seeing as how she never ventured off from the BMC beers, I'm going to have to find a good recipe and the lower IBU range of the style

I deal with the same thing...the pale ale (lower IBU) I made was still far too bitter for her. I recommend sticking to blonde's or german lagers and fruit beers until you can break her taste buds in slowly.

Back