getting a brewery job

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster452

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to try for a job at the Boulevard Brewing company pretty soon. First let me tell you about my situation, and then my questions.

I'm thirty years old, and I'll be married by the time I move back to KC. I've never worked at a brewery, but I've been an all grain brewer for six years, and I have several years of experience in the service industry with a record that will back up my claim of being hardworking. I also have a "friend-of-a-friend" who works in the warehouse.

My questions are, even though the brewery is pretty casual and I do plan on keeping my beard, I should at least dress business casual (if I even get an interview), right? And, how do I get an interview? I understand they have a pretty tight operation, but I'm sure positions open there occasionally. This question has mostly been answered in other threads, the answer being overwhelmingly no, do not bring homebrew to the interview. But it might not hurt to try to give a six pack to someone there to impress them into giving me an interview, right?

I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts, and thank you's all around.

I wouldn't take my homebrew to a commercial brewery and ask them for a job. Personally, get your friend-of-a-friend to work some magic and maybe see if you can meet with some of the employees after hours. Have a few brews and maybe "WOW" them with your extensive knowledge. At which point you could tell them it's always been your dream to work at a commercial brewery.

Really though, I'm not sure how many paid positions just come up at breweries. I know quite a few people who intern, or volunteer, but getting hired sounds like a longshot. Possible, but a longshot.

But hell, what do I know? I've never worked, or known anyone that's worked in a brewery. lol.

Yeah, it's most certainly a long shot, but I have to get a job somewhere when I get to KC. Might as well be a brewery. Good idea about the after hours chit chat though. That might work, and it can't hurt.

I don't know why it's such a long shot...there isn't anything especially magical about a brewery position. Sure its a career that has a high demand of people interested in working in the field, but so does anything in the computer industry, the medical field, and many many other careers. Its like any other job...it's all about timing and the best thing you can do is just be yourself. If they like you and can see you being a good fit for the job then they will hire you. If not, they'll move on to the next candidate. Keep your head up and be yourself, you never know what's in store for you :)

I don't know why it's such a long shot...there isn't anything especially magical about a brewery position. Sure its a career that has a high demand of people interested in working in the field, but so does anything in the computer industry, the medical field, and many many other careers. Its like any other job...it's all about timing and the best thing you can do is just be yourself. If they like you and can see you being a good fit for the job then they will hire you. If not, they'll move on to the next candidate. Keep your head up and be yourself, you never know what's in store for you :)

I like that attitude. I'm a person that will attempt something I know I'll most certainly fail at, just because I refuse to let fear of failure dictate my decisions. But I also am the type of person with a plan B.

I don't understand the consensus that mentioning you home brew would yield negative results in an interview. Wouldn't the fact that you have experience in the field (albeit non paid) be a positive thing? If i ran a brewery and i had two people, one who home brews and one who didn't, i think that the one who already has knowledge of the field brings a hell of allot more to the table.... That being said, you wouldn't want to act like a know it all, as that is very off putting to most people.

If you get an interview, dress up. At least a shirt, tie and slacks, if not a jacket as well. Shine your shoes. Business casual isn't going to cut it. If it's down to you and one other candidate, everything else being the same, it might just come down to who left a more favorable impression. Visual presentation goes a long way.

I got a job at one of the most laid-back companies I can ever imagine (shorts, sandals, crazy unkempt beards, etc... are daily routine), but you better believe I went in there with a suit and tie for my interview. Even though daily dress doesn't call for it, you can bet they appreciate that you're taking the process so seriously.

I don't understand the consensus that mentioning you home brew would yield negative results in an interview. Wouldn't the fact that you have experience in the field (albeit non paid) be a positive thing? If i ran a brewery and i had two people, one who home brews and one who didn't, i think that the one who already has knowledge of the field brings a hell of allot more to the table.... That being said, you wouldn't want to act like a know it all, as that is very off putting to most people.

I think it's probably a good idea to mention that you brew, but I can see where "drink this beer and I know you'll hire me" might be a little off-putting. I plan on relying on my work history and treating my own brewing experience as a "by the way" kind of thing.

If you get an interview, dress up. At least a shirt, tie and slacks, if not a jacket as well. Shine your shoes. Business casual isn't going to cut it. If it's down to you and one other candidate, everything else being the same, it might just come down to who left a more favorable impression. Visual presentation goes a long way.

I got a job at one of the most laid-back companies I can ever imagine (shorts, sandals, crazy unkempt beards, etc... are daily routine), but you better believe I went in there with a suit and tie for my interview. Even though daily dress doesn't call for it, you can bet they appreciate that you're taking the process so seriously.

This...plus 1000. If you progress to the point of an interview, take it seriously and dress appropriately.

Brian

Back