Gelatin fining question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayeness

Reaction score
When you start to use gelatin for fining do you still need to use the airlock for the process?
Facing an issue with fridge space.

[*]Would fit without it.[/*]
[*]Will not with it.[/*]

When you start to use gelatin for fining do you still need to use the airlock for the process?
Facing an issue with fridge space.

[*]Would fit without it.[/*]
[*]Will not with it.[/*]
You're probably going to get a lot of suggestions for this. When you cold crash it, you have suckback that pulls air into the fermenter and introduces your beer to oxygen.

I leave the airlock on but switch to the s type airlock. I know it doesn't probably help at all but i do it anyway.

In answer to your question, if the alternative is nothing on the top, I'd say yes you need the airlock still.

What i don't know, is would a piece of sanitized foil over the top do the trick. My initial thought is no, foil over the top will allow too much air in.

Long winded answer but in my opinion, yes you need the airlock

As gelatin should be used during cold crashing/kegging, I do not use an airlock. A sanitized piece of foil works just fine for me. Some people say they should still be used but you are getting suck back and an air bubble passing through sanitizer isn't actually going to sanitize the air. So what is the point? I have never had an infected or oxidized batch but to be fair, I keg so once the beer is cold crashed it stays below 40 degrees until it's gone.

Once I get to gelatin fining I pull off the air lock and wrap the bung is a piece of plastic wrap to close all the holes. Then put it in the mouth of the carboy.

Or you could try a balloon if you don’t want to completely seal it off.

Once I get to gelatin fining I pull off the air lock and wrap the bung is a piece of plastic wrap to close all the holes. Then put it in the mouth of the carboy.

Or you could try a balloon if you don’t want to completely seal it off.
Ot, this one belongs on the thing homebrewers say that could be nasty, lol. Ot, i have heard many use foil. Ballon is interesting idea,

Haha, oops, not nasty like that. Things we talk about as brewers that others would see as funny or peculiar. Wrap your bung in plastic and put it in the, well you get it. As for your solution seems excellent and no ill intent meant there.

I thought the joke was pretty straight forward. Made me laugh.
Good on Brandon for keeping his mind out of the gutter.

Back