Gas leak lost the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
We had a keg on a CO2 line but apparently there was a leak in the connection with the ball valve because it leaked all of the gas out and the beer keg is like flat as an pancake.

Dammit I hate it when that happens!

We had a keg on a CO2 line but apparently there was a leak in the connection with the ball valve because it leaked all of the gas out and the beer keg is like flat as an pancake.

Dammit I hate it when that happens!

Agreed! Very annoying. I had a leak on a regulator connection and lost a 5 lb co2 canister and a little bit of another before I figured out the source. I feel for you.

Pisses me off that was a 20 lb tank :) That's a lot of gas and it was still sitting on 1,000 lbs of pressure still in the tank.

I feel your pain...had that happen to me. last one I lost was on the liquid side woke to find 5 gallons of beer all over the floor:smack::smack:

I had the beer pump out the keg so it made a mess that I need to mop up, but luckily none went into the tank.

Pisses me off that was a 20 lb tank :) That's a lot of gas and it was still sitting on 1,000 lbs of pressure still in the tank.

Pressure is a meaningless figure with regard to CO2 bottles. It does NOT indicate fill level, only room temperature. Pressure will not drop at a given room temperature until the tank is virtually empty.

1000 PSI is a VERY high reading, and tells me that you are storing your bottle in an environment with a temperature of 85F or so. Above 88 CO2 goes to a "super critical" state which one of it's unique properties. If you are seeing 1000 PSI at ordinary room temp in the 70s, either your gauge is bad, or someone at the fill plant is over filling bottles, which is extremely dangerous.

Only weight tells you how much CO2 is in your bottle. There is no other way to tell except to put it in the freezer and then remove it into the sun, and observe the frost line. This works on any liquid in a tank.

H.W.

CO2pressure.jpg

I forgot to note that I no longer leave my bottles hooked up to my kegs, I periodically "charge" them. This works better for me.......but my kegs are tight.

H.W.

That room was no where near 85 degrees. My basement is a cool 61 degrees with my water coming in from the well at 54.

is there a chart like that for the weight?

Pressure is a meaningless figure with regard to CO2 bottles. It does NOT indicate fill level, only room temperature. Pressure will not drop at a given room temperature until the tank is virtually empty.

1000 PSI is a VERY high reading, and tells me that you are storing your bottle in an environment with a temperature of 85F or so. Above 88 CO2 goes to a "super critical" state which one of it's unique properties. If you are seeing 1000 PSI at ordinary room temp in the 70s, either your gauge is bad, or someone at the fill plant is over filling bottles, which is extremely dangerous.

Only weight tells you how much CO2 is in your bottle. There is no other way to tell except to put it in the freezer and then remove it into the sun, and observe the frost line. This works on any liquid in a tank.

H.W.

is there a chart like that for the weight?

You don't need a chart. CO2 is sold by the pound. Your bottle has a tare weight somewhere (empty weight) on it, and it also should state the capacity in pounds. If your TW is 15 pounds and you have a 20 pound bottle, it will weigh 35 pounds full, 15 pounds empty, and 25 pounds half full.........

The only reason for such a chart would be if CO2 were being sold by volume.... which it never is.

H.W.

i just started kegging and had this happen. no idea where to start. gonna trouble shoot the connections with star san or extra foamy soap water once i get a new tank.

had another question i wanted help with. i'm using a taprite dual gauge regulator with the red push/pull knob. do i need to push the knob back in after i'm done adjusting it? didn't do this and was wondering if that was part of the issue.

I forgot to note that I no longer leave my bottles hooked up to my kegs, I periodically "charge" them. This works better for me.......but my kegs are tight.

H.W.

Having lost a few bottles, I now generally keep the gas all hooked up but turn off the cylinder while not actually goosing the kegs. I have the cylinder mounted outside the fridge, so it's pretty easy to do.

Back