Gargoyle hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naiek

Reaction score
Anybody brewed with this before, or even heard of it? I'm buying a pound if it along with a pound of Ivanhoe and I'm curious to try them out. The only info I could find is that they are "2 of the original California hops varieties" that have been brought back into production

A gargoyle is a device that funnels water away from vertical stone walls, preventing otherwise rapid erosion due to potentially acidic water sheeting over the stone.

The fact that they are frequently grotesque detracts not from the fact that they are essentially rain gutter spouts.

I have no idea how this applies to their performance as hops.

There is a hop farm not too far from me, I was poking around their website and saw a PDF order form that listed that hop variety. Never heard of it so I sent them and email about it, they got back to me saying it was an original California hops variety, $10/lb. Figured it was worth it to try it

http://www.hopsmeister.com/

Appears that Ivanhoe is a derived from California Cluster and is probably quite similar to modern Cluster.

Gargoyle is another Cluster derivative - looks like Russian River is using it in their fall Harvest Ale this year.

Any updates? How are these hops? Flavor? Aroma? I can't find much info about them...

Back