Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked back at the one I got off of Amazon and it clearly says max pressure is 100 psi. I'm going to assume that is working pressure and these valves will work at garden hose pressure. I will test it before I order 10 more of them though!

This will change the design yet again.

Yeah there's no way the pressure in that quarter inch line is the same as the garden hose right?

It does not matter what size line is going to the float valve when the valve is closed. The pressure is the same when the water is not flowing. I'm assuming that all the Kerick float valves will work on water hose pressures and I was just wrong before.

Got some t,s today myself. I like these they are quick disconnect. Brass one's really don't grab the plastic right and the barbs can split the plastic so these are a good option they're 6 bucks each too I'm going to give them a try

I took a couple pics while doing some weeding yesterday, geez. Next year I think I'm going to lay down a drop cloth or something.

The cucumbers and okra aren't going to grow too good until it gets really hot.

20160514_132712.jpg

20160514_132659.jpg

You must not have rabbits like we do. I'm hoping that having my plant of the ground will keep them from being part of the nightly bunny fiesta here!

I got two Habaneros planted. I have several more plants but ran out of bags. Bought a few to play with, put them on the list when I figured out that's what I wanted to use, wife took them off because she thought I already had them, then I have been to Walmart twice since then, including today, and forgot them each time!View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463356358.718562.jpg

I got two Habaneros planted. I have several more plants but ran out of bags. Bought a few to play with, put them on the list when I figured out that's what I wanted to use, wife took them off because she thought I already had them, then I have been to Walmart twice since then, including today, and forgot them each time!View attachment 354588

I have two habanero plants. Got a ton of habs off them this weekend. I'm thinking one plant would have been plenty now. If they weren't so freaking hot...

I'm making some mango hab salso out of them this week. That'll use maybe a few of the hundred peppers I must have in the fridge.

Have you considered making salsa out of them? You can freeze them too, although they aren't as crunchy when they thaw.

One thing that I've done with extra peppers, (not that I have many these days) is to make chili powder. Pickling them is always good too. I actually have a video of me eating a whole pickled hab, but I don't think I should share that haha.

I got two Habaneros planted. I have several more plants but ran out of bags. Bought a few to play with, put them on the list when I figured out that's what I wanted to use, wife took them off because she thought I already had them, then I have been to Walmart twice since then, including today, and forgot them each time!View attachment 354588

So cool, cheers!

You are going to need those cages ;) Water the heck out of them to get the capillary action going. Yeah here in Denver it's illegal I think to collect rainwater in a reservoir this has come up on this thread or another thread. I think they just change the law so people can collect some. Would you mind sharing your build plans the kiddie pools work well but they are not super durable. 1 big pool like area would be ideal at $2 a plant I realized real quick that I really didn't want 60 of them plus the dirt xcetera gets expensive had a lot to do this last weekend remodeling the bathroom and fixing the electric sprinkler system I'll be up and running soon.

You are going to need those cages ;) Water the heck out of them to get the capillary action going. Yeah here in Denver it's illegal I think to collect rainwater in a reservoir this has come up on this thread or another thread. I think they just change the law so people can collect some. Would you mind sharing your build plans the kiddie pools work well but they are not super durable. 1 big pool like area would be ideal at $2 a plant I realized real quick that I really didn't want 60 of them plus the dirt xcetera gets expensive had a lot to do this last weekend remodeling the bathroom and fixing the electric sprinkler system I'll be up and running soon.

I did not build this one to a plan. I just bought some sewer pipe and fittings, some Walmart bags, and some treated 2x6 and 2x4 lumber, then kinda designed it on the ship floor. But I drew up the results for you.
View attachment 354800

I used pipe to thread conversions and the screw in caps on both ends of the pipe which are not shown. And I cut a length of pipe long enough to cover the valve access hole then split one side lengthwise so I could wrap it around the pipe as a cover.

Well, my contraption seems to be working well. Plants look great and a substantial amount of water is being used each day. I'm still watering it from the hose directly into the valve access port, but will install the valve and a water reservoir asap. Probably this weekend.

Sounds like they're doing super well.yep that's why I asked passed how much water they used. Self-watering is the way to go I know I've said it a bunch but literally I planted and did nothing else except for pick

So you guys inspired me I'm getting them going. The tees worked beautifully. It is really hard to get the brass ones tight enough. Even with my gorilla hands and a couple of pair of big wrenches. The plastic tees just slid right in, done. The problem is I put drainage holes at 2 inches like a fool, and it's hard to set the floats just right to be under the holes. Little duck tape works. I finally got some shims and I think that will fix the problem. Mind you it's hard to set these floats to keep an inch of water in a flimsy angled plastic pool. Plus I didn't account for the slope of the deck. You have to have a drainage hole in an open system so if it rains you don't get rot. They filled up and looked good so tomorrow I might get some stuff going and vaya con dios.

View attachment 1463800857017.jpg

View attachment 1463800868569.jpg

View attachment 1463800881218.jpg

View attachment 1463800892291.jpg

Sounds like they're doing super well.yep that's why I asked passed how much water they used. Self-watering is the way to go I know I've said it a bunch but literally I planted and did nothing else except for pick

Yea I've got to rig up something similar. I've got a float valve and stuff - I just need time to make a trough to hold all my buckets. Tomatoes need to filled twice a day, the habaneros at least once per day, but they will take two fillings, and the cayennes once a day. I don't mind, but "auto-watering buckets" isn't exactly accurate :)

I'm renovating bathrooms in my house - I've got 4 and they are all getting gutted and rebuilt. I'm just finishing the big one, so I'll probably have time in a week or two. Tiling (travertine) kicked my butt the last couple weekends, but that's done. New doors in, toilets in, vanity's in, new lights and stuff, got the sink and plumbing done last night. Some woodwork and new whirlpool and finished.

Impressive. The bathrooms keep you busy don't they. I have never done tile but I know its heavy.

Impressive. The bathrooms keep you busy don't they. I have never done tile but I know its heavy.

Not the weight, but the working on the floor. It's hard on the old back. But it looks great. I've done this lots before, but it gets harder as I get older.

I'm using some of my peppers to make a habanero mango sauce tonight. Woot. Also kegging beer, woot! And milling grain for an early morning brew session, woot woot!

I've pretty much done everything to bathrooms, houses, and cars over the years. I fix two minor things on two cars today and am just ragged out. Getting old sucks! Lol

(Tile and brick floors, by the way!)

Love the mango salsas passedpawn. How hot are the habaneros? You said it so well, it gets harder. Im having a hard year physically. We are three peas in a pod, but one main difference is your guys work is actually good. Decided to go with a new pool this year; had an extra pool and float. 3 gallon bags!

Did a lot of seeds: lettuce, basil, oregano, spinach, beans, and cillantro. My wife said we didn't plan till mid July last year. And those were the beans that were really high. They just didnt produce.

View attachment 1463881941293.jpg

View attachment 1463881954300.jpg

And, given the number of plants should produce a lot and be easy to harvest, since you have good access to each plant! I've only got 6 plants in the new thing and 6 or so in the ground. But the new ones in the Wally bags are very happy plants indeed and growing 2 or 3 times as fast as the ones in the ground, and that's really good soil in that ground bed! My Jalapeno in the pipe thing actually has a fruit already!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1463957822.943986.jpg
You might have to Zoom in the middle to spot it :)

Just finished getting the valve installed. Because of the size of the fittings you cannot adjust the valve when in place without unscrewing the end cap and taking it out, but I guessed at the adjustment and got it right on the first try. I think I will just glue on a cap next time to make it easier, cheaper, and more adjustable.

Thats clever staestc. The plants look to be thriving. I think the sub irrigation helps them never go without, so they always have what they need.

I will find out if the epoxy thing works when I get home. It should be completely cured by then. I figure with the only water pressure being how high up I put the home depot bucket it should work fine. Fingers crossed :)

I've got roma tomatoes and parsley in the buckets now. I love tabbouleh, which uses a ton of fresh parsley.

Nice. You never cease to surprise me. Tabbouleh and fettouch (sp?) its been too long. When I was in College I worked at this gas station, and across the street was a middle eastern place where we always ate at. The whole family worked there including the eldest daughter. I thought she was pretty and she used to sneak me tabbouleh and fettouch across the street, the few minutes her serious father wasn't looking. The rub is im jewish and wouldnt look it too most, but i wasnt fooling her father any. It was weird knowing we liked eachother and could never really give it a go. Sorry, dont know why im telling you this tabbolueh is just a deep memory and delicious.

Okay gardening, got 6th pool installed. I drilled the stupid runoff holes to low in the other pools. Making a pain in the neck; im going to drill this one higher. The broccoli and brussel sprouts there are just extra

View attachment 1464055930299.jpg

Nice. You never cease to surprise me. Tabbouleh and fettouch (sp?) its been too long. When I was in College I worked at this gas station, and across the street was a middle eastern place where we always ate at. The whole family worked there including the eldest daughter. I thought she was pretty and she used to sneak me tabbouleh and fettouch across the street, the few minutes her serious father wasn't looking. The rub is im jewish and wouldnt look it too most, but i wasnt fooling her father any. It was weird knowing we liked eachother and could never really give it a go. Sorry, dont know why im telling you this tabbolueh is just a deep memory and delicious.

Okay gardening, got 6th pool installed. I drilled the stupid runoff holes to low in the other pools. Making a pain in the neck; im going to drill this one higher. The broccoli and brussel sprouts there are just extra

You make me laugh scrap, you really do. Glad you're on this forum.

Anyway, the best way to make tabbouleh is just mix everything together and leave it for a few days. No heat necessary. Bulgar wheat is a must. I like mine with tons of parsley, some mint, bit of tomato, but mostly parsley. And bulgar wheat!

[edit] Here's how I make mine: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lebanese-tabbouleh-106589 It's great just in a bowl (I eat it daily until its gone) or under some lamb shish-ka-bobs

_mg_8800-63602.jpg

_mg_8802-63601.jpg

_mg_8819-63599.jpg

_mg_8825-63600.jpg

Anyway, the best way to make tabbouleh is just mix everything together and leave it for a few days. No heat necessary. Bulgar wheat is a must. I like mine with tons of parsley, some mint, bit of tomato, but mostly parsley. And bulgar wheat!

[edit] Here's how I make mine: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lebanese-tabbouleh-106589 It's great just in a bowl (I eat it daily until its gone) or under some lamb shish-ka-bobs

_mg_8800-63602.jpg

_mg_8802-63601.jpg

_mg_8819-63599.jpg

_mg_8825-63600.jpg

mmmmmm That looks so good.

_mg_8800-63602.jpg

_mg_8802-63601.jpg

_mg_8819-63599.jpg

_mg_8825-63600.jpg

That just looks like an awesome meal!! How did you do your kababs?

Latest posts

Back