Garbage Disposal recomendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthomas

Reaction score
I'm trying too build an Apple Scratter based on a new Garbage Disposal as has been suggested elsewhere. There is an old thread on this site that recommends a 1HP Waste King Legend 8000 series. Being 1HP it should be plenty powerful and it does have a Stainless Steel Shredder Ring and Impeller plate. However the Impeller plate was secured with a large gob of what looked like some sort of thread locker material which unfortunately was also spread all over the inside of the grinding chamber. I tried to clean the goop off but being thread locker it was pretty stuck on everything. Somehow I don't think that goop is very food safe.

So I am looking for recommendations for brand/model of garbage disposal that people have purchased recently, preferably ones that don't over heat to much and don't have tons of goop in the grinding chamber.

- C. Thomas

I've watched scads of video and read plenty of stuff on-line dealing with apple scratters. There was just something about most of them that I didn't like. Claude Jolicuere has some information about his scratter on-line and I built one based on his principles. Most of the rotor based scratters have apples bouncing around, getting worn away bit by bit and usually needing a push stick. I could not find a cheap garbage disposal and didd't like what I saw - people chopping apples into quarters before they could be ground and pressed. Lots of work. Here is a link to a video of mine in action. It uses geometry to suck in an apple and shred it without spitting it back out. Be careful...it will do the same to hands!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPBp-dZG5f4[/ame]

We have always been taught to keep wieners on the opposite side of the belt and pulleys :):) So what does the insides of this beast look like? I doesnt seem to be going superfast and is doing a good job, what horsepower is your motor? Is it actually doing too good a job as some of that looks like applesauce or is it just the apples that day? WVMJ

We have always been taught to keep wieners on the opposite side of the belt and pulleys :):) So what does the insides of this beast look like? I doesnt seem to be going superfast and is doing a good job, what horsepower is your motor? Is it actually doing too good a job as some of that looks like applesauce or is it just the apples that day? WVMJ

Yes, I admit I need to take the next steps of adding some shields before pressing this fall! I also want to add some shields at the bottom of the rotor to keep apple spray from discolouring my siding!

If you take a look when my videographer was recording the apples coming out, you will notice a spinning disk, 12" in diameter and 4" wide. I constructed it out of laminated hardwood wood scraps from a cabinet factory down the street. To that disk I have attached strips of scrap stainless steel from a laser cutting metal shop. They are 1/16" thick and about 1/4" to 3?16" wide and this is probably responsible for the apple sauce look. The motor is salvaged from an old furnace fan. I think it is 1/2 hp but I haven't looked at it in nearly a year. I asked the heating/cooling guys if I could salvage it before they hauled our old furnace away last summer. I didn't want to spend money on bearings for something that might not work so the shaft is running in oil soaked and greased oak blocks.

The grind is definitely on the fine side judging by what I have read and researched online. I wonder if that would be improved with teeth thicker than 1/16" and perhaps not the entire width of the unit. As it is, I calculated my RPM, and the number of cutting edges on my grinder and if I recall correctly, I am running better than 200 cuts per second. I think I was getting somewhat better than 65% extraction using a 4 ton bottle jack on a 14" square rack and cheese system.

I plan on taking more video this fall that show the inner workings of the grinder.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzXzN8sO2jU[/ame]

Thanks for hijacking the thread. If anyone has any recommendations on garbage disposal models I'm still interested in hearing them. Thanks.

No personal experience, but I've seen Waste King come up a few times in these types of discussions and people seemed happy with them. The only issue that I recall was that Waste King uses a proprietary locking ring instead of the standard.

Sorry, have fun cutting up each apple and shoving them down the little tube that feeds into the disposal before it overheats, or, look at these guys dumping in lots of apples at at time and not having spent as much making this as you probably will on a disposal and getting done a lot faster. WVMJ

You could also run like 10 pounds of dry white rice thru the disposal to polish everything and absorb all the grease if you want to give your disposal a try. WVMJ

Back