Oatmeal Stout galaxy oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrKnow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
nottingham
Yeast Starter
only if using liquid
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
1.065 to 1.070
Final Gravity
1.015 to 1.020
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
An expiremental brew that turned out so well I now keep it in regular rotation.
Since I've learned so much by brewing recipes that others have been kind enough to post online, I figured it's about time for me to post one of my own. This beer has been well received by friends and family (of course it was, who doesn't like free beer?). It also got positive feedback from the guys in my homebrew club.

A little background on this recipe: I purchased a pound of galaxy hops at the end of last summer. I got home and cut the bag open and smelled quite a few IPAs/DIPAs in my future. After a few batches, I figured why not try to pound the square peg through the round hole? I'll put some of these hops somewhere they probably won't belong. I have to say, I'm very pleased with the results.

Galaxy oatmeal stout
5 gallons all grain
OG: 1.065 to 1.070
FG: 1.020 to 1.015
IBUS: 64.6 (if you believe beersmith)
color 49.4 SRM (If you're like me and you hate math, it looks like a stout should)

Grain:
9 lbs Maris Otter
.5 lb crystal 60L
.5 lb black patent
.5 flaked barley
1 lb flaked oats
.5 roasted barley
1 lb chocolate malt (I like a blend of 50/50 pale chocolate/regular or regular/120L)
.5 lb crystal 10L

mash in at 154 degrees F for 60 minutes

60 minute boil
1 oz galaxy @ 60
.5 oz galaxy @ 15
whirlfloc/irish moss @ 15
.5 oz galaxy @ 5
.5 oz East Kent Golding @ FO (or willamette, fuggles, whatever "English type" hop you have laying around)

rehydrated Nottingham dry yeast (It's neutral, quick, clean, dependable, cheap, no starter required). If you choose to use liquid yeast, any clean/neutral ale yeast will do. Perhaps even an English strain would do well, I may try it on my next batch.

notes: My efficiency is typically 65% percent or less. If for some reason you choose to brew this and your efficiency is better, adjust accordingly.

Tasting notes: Seems to finish in the 1.018 to 1.020 range, so it leans a little more toward a sweet stout but weighs in around 6.5% abv. Great, creamy head, nice silky smooth body. It reminds me a little bit of those higher end chocolate bars with 85%+ cacao and exotic dried jungle fruits and nuts in there. Decadent in a way. Although a more traditional hop selection would make a respectable beer, I think the galaxy really improved this one and made for a more interesting and complex flavor. A unique and contemplative pint.

This is my first post here. If anyone brews this, let me know how it turns out.

Thanks, I just bought an Oatmeal stout kit and wanted to jazz it up a bit. I have a pound of Citra, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Falconer's Flight 7 C's

I think I will try a little of one of them in my Oatmeal stout kit. I was thinking about it, but it just seemed unorthodox. Thanks for blazing the trail.

Thanks, I just bought an Oatmeal stout kit and wanted to jazz it up a bit. I have a pound of Citra, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Falconer's Flight 7 C's

I think I will try a little of one of them in my Oatmeal stout kit. I was thinking about it, but it just seemed unorthodox. Thanks for blazing the trail.
How did yours turn out?

Latest posts

Back