Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the 10-10-10 for the first time at Swamphead yesterday and wasn't too impressed. I still like their Midnight Oil and Big Nose though - they seem to have gotten better with time.

Anybody know a place in Gainesville or J'ville that swaps 5pd CO2 bottles as opposed to filling them? Mines out of Hydro and don't want the hassle of a retest.

Was at The Top, last night. Had a Stumpknocker and bartenderess gave me a small sample of the Florida Black Water Ale, and some other high dollar, high gravity IPA. The Top has really good burgers.

Should have checked this thread before going last night, I would have tried out the new place.

Anyone know a place that serves the Cottonmouth?

Was at The Top, last night. Had a Stumpknocker and bartenderess gave me a small sample of the Florida Black Water Ale, and some other high dollar, high gravity IPA. The Top has really good burgers.

Should have checked this thread before going last night, I would have tried out the new place.

It rotates at Stubbies, Alcove, and the Top. It's on at Salty Dog always I think and the brewery obviously. It was also on at Big Deck last time I was in Cedar Key.

sooooo. what's going on? anybody brewing now that it's warming up? I miss the "winter" already.

I brewed 3 beers over a week for a pig roast. Two of my kegs were the first to go out of 8. Brewing my first Black IPA this weekend. 90% 2 Row, 5% C60 & 5% Carafa III - Simcoe and Amarillo.

Cottonmouth is always on draft at The Warehouse.

sooooo. what's going on? anybody brewing now that it's warming up?

My 2nd lager is done, tapped it last night. It's kinda boring, but hey, it's a lager. Really gonna push the boundaries with the next one. Maybe hop it like an IPA or something. I've only had to lager my lagers for a few weeks and they taste fine, so I guess some hop flavor will still be in there, or I could lager it til it's drinkable, then bring it to room temp and dry hop for a week before kegging. Guess that would work.

Just started a dubbel with Wyeast Lambic blend. So I guess I'll be waiting a year to drink that one.....

chefchris said:
sooooo. what's going on? anybody brewing now that it's warming up? I miss the "winter" already.

I brewed 3 beers over a week for a pig roast. Two of my kegs were the first to go out of 8. Brewing my first Black IPA this weekend. 90% 2 Row, 5% C60 & 5% Carafa III - Simcoe and Amarillo.

Hey Chris

I'm the guy that showed up a couple weeks ago with the 90 minute clone with my roommate for everyone to try. Thinking about brewing something today or tomorrow. Will probably be tomorrow to give me time to make a starter, but ill be by sometime today to pick up supplies.

Getting ready to crush some grain to brew today.

10# Pilsen
7.5# Wheat
2.5# Rye
2.5# Viennna

11 gallon batch, will ferment half with S05 and the other with WLP 300 Hefe yeast.

if anybody needs a co2 tank ive got one for sale. it a 10 lb aluminum tank just filled. it will need a hydro inspection next year. $70. i will be in town this weekend so give me a heads up if interested.

Mashing the 4th iteration of my Simcoe IPA (Black or Blue Eye). This one has some Centennial added at 20', and will be aged on Spanish Cedar.

Really looking forward to the brew class next weekend. Not sure what I'll bring yet; probably my blonde ale (was supposed to be a Kölsch but didn't quite turn out that way) or the Irish Brown.

Anticipating the spanish cedar we'll be getting in at the shop.

65 IBUs

11.25 lb Pale Malt
1.25 lb Munich
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 20L
0.25 lb Caramel Malt - 40L

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min)
1.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min)

1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)

1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023)

I'm thinking of doing 10 gallon batch and dry hopping with a different combo using different yeast. When I hung out with Nathan Smith he had two IPAs with the dry hop being the only difference in the two beers. They were completely different beers.

chefchris said:
Matt, we drank your smoked porter last night. I really liked it and I usually don't like smoked beers. Good job.

Awesome...so when do I get my score sheet. It finished a little sweeter than I intended becuase the cold weather made my yeast poop out early.

How was cigar city? Did they have the oatmeal cookie rasin? I tried to make a clone of it so well see how that turns out. Wards carries a few of there beers but I didn't see the hunahpu there.

Awesome...so when do I get my score sheet. It finished a little sweeter than I intended becuase the cold weather made my yeast poop out early.

How was cigar city? Did they have the oatmeal cookie rasin? I tried to make a clone of it so well see how that turns out. Wards carries a few of there beers but I didn't see the hunahpu there.
You won't find Hunaphus in a store, but if you want to try it I have a bottle of the first release left that I'd be willing to share with someone.

Cigar City was great. No Oatmeal Cookie. I didn't care for their Humidor Jai Alai this time. Too much cedar in that batch. They had the Cubano Espresso which was very tasty.

You won't find Hunaphus in a store, but if you want to try it I have a bottle of the first release left that I'd be willing to share with someone.
damn, wish i was still in gville

Cigar City was great. No Oatmeal Cookie. I didn't care for their Humidor Jai Alai this time. Too much cedar in that batch. They had the Cubano Espresso which was very tasty.

the cubano is liz's favorite. have you tried the vuja de? its not for me.

Roommate and I were pouring over some off flavors in a beer we let get too hot. I was pretty sure that the flavor we were tasting must have been yeast off flavors since the weather decided to get unseasonably hot recently; I know the beer was exposed to 78-80 degree temps during the day quite often (was using the only controlled fermenter I have while this was in it's secondary). I was just wondering what you all consider "yeast bite" to taste like. We tried some yeast slurry and decided it was plastic'y. We were concerned that the Star San was leaving the flavors and tried it too. Plastic'y, but much less than the slurry. Do you all experience this at all? Would appreciate any reply. Thanks.

The Plastic'y flavor was what we were experience as an aftertaste in the beer. Haven't changed the hoses at all since the previous beer that had no off flavors whatsoever and had a temp controlled secondary.

How long ago did you brew it? Temperature control in secondary is MUCH less important than temperature control while active fermentation is happening.

Yeast should taste bready, star san would only show up in HUGE concentrations in the beer. When mixed with water it tastes slightly acidic and a little sour, but not plasticy.

BTW, don't drink too much straight yeast slurry unless you enjoy stomach pains.

I hope that it's appropriate to post this here.
I have 4 pin lock kegs that I'm selling. $110 for the bunch. Local. Price can be negotiated.

Wife and I finally made it to the Swamphead tasting room, on Thursday night. I've been wanting to try the Cottonmouth for a long time. I was not disappointed. I left with a 32 oz. growler, and now I wished I would have gotten the 1 gallon, instead. Oh, heck, screw the growler, and just get a whole keg!!! Also tried their Cream Ale and it was very good as well.

I wish I could get the Great Outdoors in High Springs to carry their beer. I mention it every time I go there.

On the homebrew front, all kegs have something in them. Will not be brewing until one gets close to empty.

I'm moving to Miami on July 9th and can't take my brewing stuff with me, if any of you guys want it let me know and I will let it go for cheap. I have 2 or 3 ball locks, 2 pin locks (one needs a new PRV), a 6.5g glass carboy, a 3g plastic carboy, 5g Coleman mash tun, 32qt aluminum kettle wrapped in insulation, DIY wort chiller, and a bunch of misc stuff that I'd probably just give away. I also have a 1/2bbl sanke that I don't need.

If you want any of it shoot me a text a 9546085759 and tell me.

Interested in how much you want for the wort chiller, carboys and kegs? Will shoot you a text also.

I'm from Gainesville and just started brewing again after long hiatus. Go Gators!

Josh,

Thanks for the taste of the Dark Lord Imperial Stout! It was a pleasure meeting you. Good luck with your move to Miami and safe travels!

dark_lord.jpg

Interested in how much you want for the wort chiller, carboys and kegs? Will shoot you a text also.

I'm from Gainesville and just started brewing again after long hiatus. Go Gators!

Was it you that sent me a text about the wort chiller? If you want the carboys I'd take $40 for both of them, the 3gal one is nice because it's round, not square like a better bottle. I sold the ball locks to Yambor44 but if you want the pinlocks you can take them both for $25. One is in great shape, the other not so much. It needs a new PRV (they are pretty cheap, or you could just seal the hole) and one of the posts is bent but it can still accept disconnects just fine.

Josh,

Thanks for the taste of the Dark Lord Imperial Stout! It was a pleasure meeting you. Good luck with your move to Miami and safe travels!

dark_lord.jpg

Good meeting you too. That Darklord was delicious. :mug:

Just thought I'd bump this. Still have something in all kegs, and I just polished off a keg of Cottonmouth, great beer!

Hopefully supplies can hold out until cooler weather, not brewing in this 95 degree weather!

if anybody needs a co2 tank ive got one for sale. it a 10 lb aluminum tank just filled. it will need a hydro inspection next year. $70. i will be in town this weekend so give me a heads up if interested.

i am still selling this tank. i am in gainesville for a couple days and have brought it with me if anyone is interested. shoot me a pm if interested.

Back