Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's him!

yeah, he did a lot of it himself. I forgot what working on a saturday was like so it was dumb of me to brew up there. he did good, though. Except he messed up the exact same hop addition on the same exact same beer that Ed did. 200+ IBUs so you probably won't be able to tell.

yeah, he did a lot of it himself. I forgot what working on a saturday was like so it was dumb of me to brew up there. he did good, though. Except he messed up the exact same hop addition on the same exact same beer that Ed did. 200+ IBUs so you probably won't be able to tell.

So I see you're still hopping it up.

What are yall bringing to the pigrizzoast?

I need to keg a beer tonight... it was absolutely HELL to get CO2 here in SFL.

Gainesville was so easy to do stuff. here I feel like everything takes all day. I mean **** my xbox guy lives like half an hour away and he's the closest. ****KKK

So I see you're still hopping it up.

What are yall bringing to the pigrizzoast?

I need to keg a beer tonight... it was absolutely HELL to get CO2 here in SFL.

Gainesville was so easy to do stuff. here I feel like everything takes all day. I mean **** my xbox guy lives like half an hour away and he's the closest. ****KKK

when is the roast?

your xbox guy needs to get on it. I'm sittin' at level 50, you're at 16. I don't want to Prestige, don't really see the point.

when is the roast?

your xbox guy needs to get on it. I'm sittin' at level 50, you're at 16. I don't want to Prestige, don't really see the point.

march something... I think March 19th

he is really wizzeak but to be fair the problem I have I've never seen before so it's not a quick fix. If it happens again I'm asking santa for a new xbox

Got a ton of awesome Christmas beer books this year! Here's what I got:

"Yeast - The practical guide to beer fermentation" - JZ & Chris White
"Beer - Tap into the science of brewing" - Charles Bamforth
"Designing Great Beers" - Ray Daniels
"Brewing with Wheat" - Stan Hieronymus

And a 4 pack of Delerium Noel. Yum.

Nice. I got an awesome Berliner Weisse book straight from Berlin, a half-yard glass that is challenging to drink from, and a Koelsch glass with the cityscape of Cologne on it.

I've read all or parts of the books you got except the Bamforth one - they're all good.

Anyone else have a beery Christmas?

Got a 3 pack sampler of Chimay with a glass included. Other than that nothing beery.

Went down to the Keys for Christmas. On place we ate at, had PBR on tap. Had not had a draft PBR in years. It was horrible, could only drink half of it.

Where is everybody?

Brewed a Belgian Wit this weekend, and an American Ale last weekend.

Brother coming in from AZ, in February, may pick up a keg of Swamphead Cottonmouth for the occasion, if mine isn't ready, but it should be.

I went back to school so I haven't had much time to do anything. Was going to brew Saturday and realized that the demo is that day at the shop so I will be there for that and brewing at home later hopefully.

I have no idea what I want to brew though. If anybody has any suggestions I'm all ears. I was thinking some kind of wheat beer. Maybe using sorachi ace again.

Picked up my brewing again recently. Brewed my first Stout (Dry Irish), a fat tire clone, and an IPA recipe that I threw together, which happened to be my first original recipe. We'll see how it turns out... FG finished a little high at 1.020. OG was 1.071. Anyone know anything about diluting? Racked it to secondary after 8 days. Taste should turn out pretty good (couldn't really tell if there is DMS or if the beer is just young), but mouth feel is a bit much. Wouldn't mind getting it down to around 1.015. I ended up with about 4 - 4 1/2 gallons thanks to the 90 minute boil required for the pilsener malt I put in the recipe, so I've got a bit of room in the 5 gallon glass carboy.

1.071->1.020 isn't bad. It's about 70% attenuation. At this point I wouldn't dilute it but if you post the recipe some of us might be able to give you some tips for getting a dryer finish.

Do you guys know if I bring a few beers into Hoggetowne, they'll critique/troubleshoot it for me? I'm getting this weird flavor in all my beers and I want to see if they know the taste and could help me do something different.

Awesome, I'm going to do this this week.

I've brewed an Amber ale (poor temperature regulation, awful off flavors), a hefeweizen (temperature again and off flavors but the style hid them a little), a Sierra Nevada PA clone (had temperature regulation, still off-flavors) and most recently a cream stout (bottled 2 weeks ago, still has off flavors). They all have the same off flavor and I just don't know what it is.

I have another Amber ale on deck to brew but don't want to brew it until I can sort something out.

Do you guys know if I bring a few beers into Hoggetowne, they'll critique/troubleshoot it for me? I'm getting this weird flavor in all my beers and I want to see if they know the taste and could help me do something different.

I suggest doing this Friday through Sunday and not during the week.

1.071->1.020 isn't bad. It's about 70% attenuation. At this point I wouldn't dilute it but if you post the recipe some of us might be able to give you some tips for getting a dryer finish.

6 lbs Pale Ale Malt
6 lbs German 2-row Pils
1 lb American Victory
0.5 lb American Caramel 10
0.5 lb Cara-Pils
1 oz Cascade 60 min
2 oz Cascade 30 min
2 oz Cascade 5 min
White Labs Cal Ale Yeast
Boiled a total of 90 min
Fermented at 75 degrees for 6 days (Looking forward to the energy bill since this had to be done in my bathroom with a space heater, heh. I'm sure it would be worse if I kept the entire house at 75.)

Aroma wasn't as hoppy as I was expecting either. Think I might dry hop it a bit when I keg it in a few weeks.

Awesome, I'm going to do this this week.

I've brewed an Amber ale (poor temperature regulation, awful off flavors), a hefeweizen (temperature again and off flavors but the style hid them a little), a Sierra Nevada PA clone (had temperature regulation, still off-flavors) and most recently a cream stout (bottled 2 weeks ago, still has off flavors). They all have the same off flavor and I just don't know what it is.

I have another Amber ale on deck to brew but don't want to brew it until I can sort something out.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/blogs/arcanexor/321-identifying-troubleshooting-off-flavors.html

This post has a couple links that might be helpful.

Cut out the cara-pils if you don't want the body. The caramel 10 is adding some body already. If the gravity drops at all (it shouldn't really) just bring it back up with some sugar.

Dryhop with a couple ounces of centennial or a blend of centennial and cascade.

Well thats wayy too warm for that yeast, its best in the mid 60s.
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp001.html

Yeah, it wasn't doing much at around 65. Should have checked the site first before I bumped it up to 75. 68-72 on the site. Went from 3 degrees under to 3 over, fantastic. Well, that might explain a few of the flavors I wasn't really expecting. Rinsed the yeast. Will give it another go without the carapils and keeping it around 70 and see what happens.

Thanks for all of the responses, everyone.

Anyone know where I can buy a freezer temp controller without ordering online? My kegerator is on the fritz and I'll be picking up a small chest freezer tomorrow.

Anyone know any good, reliable digital thermometers? I'm pretty sure the one I'm using is effed. (Chris, if you read this, I'm the guy that came in Saturday and got the ingredients for the 90 minute clone.) Use beertools pro for my temp calculations and somehow completely over shot my sach temp by 20 degrees. I used the correct amount of boiling water, which I double checked by hand, and unless the boiling temp of water ceased to follow rules at my house, my only conclusion is that the thermometer must be screwed up. Either it was wrong when i shot for my 122 rest or giving me a read of 170 after stepping up, but something doesn't make sense. Unfortunately I freaked out and threw in a bunch of ice cubes to cool it down. Long story short: 63% efficiency when I typically run 88%. bleh. Need something new and digital. Thanks

The swamphead tasting room opened last night. 4 dollar pints of all their brews and they will be selling growlers and bottles in the future. Cool place and the brewery is getting ready to expand.

The swamphead tasting room opened last night. 4 dollar pints of all their brews and they will be selling growlers and bottles in the future. Cool place and the brewery is getting ready to expand.
Yep, I was there last night and am going again tonight. If you see me there (skinny guy with tattoos and a big beard) say what's up.

I will be in Gainesville visiting some friends this weekend, where are some good places to grab a beer? Last time I was there they took me to a BJ's beer was ok but something more local and unique is what I'm looking for.

Alcove and Stubbies are your two best choices.

The Top has a good craft lineup if you want dinner and a good beer.

A new place just opened downtown called Tall Paul's Brewhouse, but I haven't been there yet.

If you are here Friday evening Swamp Head (the local brewery) just opened their tasting room but they are only open 4-7.

^^^^

I say start the night out at the top with a beer. Walk to stubbies and indulge in random foods (mostly german style) and beers then finish at the alcove.

Alcove is last because if you get there before 10 you'll probably be sitting by yourself (or on a random night it will be hipster night at the alcove at 8pm)

but yeah Stubbies Top and Alcove get my votes. I haven't lived there for a few months so I don't know about Tall Paul's but it's worth a shot?

Went to Tall Paul's last night. 24 taps including all of the regular Swamphead stuff, lots of American craft beers, and their own Alligator Pale Ale (and they were going to have Chimay on tap later in the night). They also do 8 ounce drafts, which I like because I can try a large variety of beer without breaking the bank.

I recommend it as well as the Swamphead tasting room. It's awesome to have 2 great places to drink beer open within a week of eachother.

Went to Tall Paul's last night. 24 taps including all of the regular Swamphead stuff, lots of American craft beers, and their own Alligator Pale Ale (and they were going to have Chimay on tap later in the night). They also do 8 ounce drafts, which I like because I can try a large variety of beer without breaking the bank.

I recommend it as well as the Swamphead tasting room. It's awesome to have 2 great places to drink beer open within a week of eachother.
They put the Alligator Pale Ale on at Swamp Head last night, it got mixed reviews but I didn't try it.

Back