Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a pinlock that doesn't hold pressure, it all blows out through the PRV. If I can't rig something up this weekend to get it to work you can have it.

Hey guys, I'm grad student at UF and a homebrewer. I'm new to this website, but I've brewed about 10 batches so far (although I'm admittedly still a novice). Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi :)

Yeah, I had forgotten about that. I just RSVP'd. It would be nice to meet some of the other brewers in town.

Have any of you entered the "competition" that's posted in the shop? I was thinking about entering a Rye PA that I made last month. I'm sure it won't win anything, but I just figured I'd do it for the heck of it.

Did you not agree with it? Right now I'm looking for any feedback from those more experienced than myself. Perhaps I'll also bring the Rye PA to the class. I've got one of those Tap-A-Draft things, so I could easily dispense some to the "students".

No, I agree with it and would definitely enter if you are looking for good feedback. Just be prepared to read something nonsensical to go along with it. One of my scoresheets talked about a meatball sub, for example.

i just scored 2 20lb co2 tanks for free. unfortunately they need to be hydro tested. does anyone no places in FL that will overlook the dates and exchange me a good tank?

Welcome. I'll be there ... brewing actually.

And stfu, Josh. best feedback evah.

<3 What's with the lack of Citra leaf hops at the shop? I am disappoint.

i just scored 2 20lb co2 tanks for free. unfortunately they need to be hydro tested. does anyone no places in FL that will overlook the dates and exchange me a good tank?

I took one that expired in 1984 to Airgas and they charged me for hydro testing but only like $15 or something. It was $37 total for the fill and hydro on my 20# tank.

Does anyone in Gainesville REFILL (not exchange) CO2 tanks? Did a couple of exchanges at ******* and was shorted a few pounds. I did call it to their attention and they will make it right. It would be nice to see the bottle on the scale being fill to normal capacity.

Does anyone in Gainesville REFILL (not exchange) CO2 tanks? Did a couple of exchanges at ******* and was shorted a few pounds. I did call it to their attention and they will make it right. It would be nice to see the bottle on the scale being fill to normal capacity.

Alachua Fire Extinguisher does, last time I checked. They are over on Williston Road. I've only talked to them but never used them.

This thread has been way too inactive lately. So what's everyone been brewing?
Probably going to keg my Summit SMaSH this week and brew another session beer of some sort.

This will be my next experiment to evaluate and showcase the Bramling Cross hop. Hoping for a light-bodied, dry wheat beer with lots of complex fruit character from the hops. After this one, I'll probably do a Vienna-Amarillo SMaSH.

Recipe: Light, refreshing Wheat beer II - Bramling Cross
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 5.03 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 19.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 52.94 %
3.00 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 35.29 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 11.76 %
15.00 gm Bramling Cross [4.80 %] (60 min) (First WHops 11.3 IBU
15.00 gm Bramling Cross [4.80 %] (35 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
10.00 gm Bramling Cross [4.80 %] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
16.00 gm Bramling Cross [4.80 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 12.50 qt of water at 161.8 F 151.0 F

I'm pretty new to this thread and pretty new to homebrewing. I currently have a SNPA clone fermenting and a hefeweizen in bottles. Cheers!

My pale is is finally ready to drink

8lbs Marris Otter
1/2lb Carared
1/4lb Honey Malt

1oz Simcoe FWH
1oz Amarillo Dry hop

Nottingham (the new "bad" batch that fermented fine for me.)

only FWH and dry hop? that's gonna be good.

I got an amber in primary right now and the grains for a Black IPA at the house.

You still haven't brewed the Black IPA? She must be holding you on a tight, short leash lately!

Just brewed up an interpretation of "butterbeer" (from Harry Potter) yesterday. Thought it would be fun for Halloween. Here's what I've cooked up:

4.5 lbs pale two-row
4.5 lbs wheat
1 lb Caramel 40L

1 oz Crystal - 60 mins
0.5 oz Saaz - 20 mins.
0.25 oz Saaz - 5 mins.
1 cinnamon stick - 15 mins
5 cloves - 15 mins.
1 nutmeg "nut" - 15 mins.
13 oz. lactose - 15 mins.

WL Scottish Ale Yeast

1 Vanilla bean soaking in vodka for the secondary
A few oz Butterscotch schnapps upon bottling

Just brewed up an interpretation of "butterbeer" (from Harry Potter) yesterday. Thought it would be fun for Halloween. Here's what I've cooked up:

4.5 lbs pale two-row
4.5 lbs wheat
1 lb Caramel 40L

1 oz Crystal - 60 mins
0.5 oz Saaz - 20 mins.
0.25 oz Saaz - 5 mins.
1 cinnamon stick - 15 mins
5 cloves - 15 mins.
1 nutmeg "nut" - 15 mins.
13 oz. lactose - 15 mins.

WL Scottish Ale Yeast

1 Vanilla bean soaking in vodka for the secondary
A few oz Butterscotch schnapps upon bottling

That sounds interesting! Let us know how it turns out, or better yet, bring some to one of the tailgates!

Does anybody have a source for the "Beer Gas" Nitrogen/CO2 mix for a smaller cylinder in Gainesville? I usually swap my CO2 tanks at Praxair, but I called them, and they were a little iffy on whether they could swap out my tank, which I think is a 40 cu ft nitrogen cylinder. Either way, they said I would have to drop it off and come back another day to pick it up because they would have to order it special.

Hey guys what does the LHBS have in terms of hydrometers? I broke mine and I would like to have one by this weekend. Not interested in a triple scale or refracto, would like a high precision on the order of 1.000-1.100. I know that is a silly range but I know there are precision hydro's out there. (Just broke one that was more precise than a triple scale.

Hey guys what does the LHBS have in terms of hydrometers? I broke mine and I would like to have one by this weekend. Not interested in a triple scale or refracto, would like a high precision on the order of 1.000-1.100. I know that is a silly range but I know there are precision hydro's out there. (Just broke one that was more precise than a triple scale.

it's been a few weeks (probably 5 or 6) since I've been there but they had a precision one that I believe went from 1.000 to 1.070 or something like that.

very neat, but since I'm a man, I need 1.120 for my man beers.

or not, I suck at brewing

I'd call the store before driving up from Ocala. if they don't have it, they can more likely than not special order it for you.

very neat, but since I'm a man, I need 1.120 for my man beers.

Lol, nice. Probably do need to keep a wider range around for when I do the big beers, but most of what I brew is under 1.070. Thanks for the feedback, I'll call and see.

Threw a bunch of Simcoe into the keg with my Summit beer today, hoping that the dry-hopping will overpower the slight onion taste. So far, so good!

I'm waiting for it to cool down into the 80's before I start brewing again. Just can't get into it when it's this hot.

hello!

i'm new to HBT and somewhat to brewing. my first AG will be done this thursday! Rye Ale.

Back