FWH with Deathbrewer's partial mash method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtones84

Reaction score
So, I do nearly all grain with Deathbrewer's easy partial mash method but I'm interested in first wort hopping. I can mash around 7 lbs. of grain. In his method, however, the bag with grains is dunked and soaked into a pot of waiting sparge water. Can I achieve first wort hopping using this method? And if so, how? Would tossing the hops into the sparge water just before putting my bag of grains into the pot accomplish this?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

I'm curious to see what people say. In a recent extract brew I hopped the steeping grains to try to achieve the same. I haven't yet sampled.

B

Depending on how your setup is, this may help you or not. The way I do it (also using his partial mash method), is to toss the hops into the primary mash pot after pulling the bag out to sparge it. Then I turn on the heat onto that pot since its also my boil pot, and add the sparge after its done. I'd think you could toss the hops into the sparge water as well, but since I transfer the sparge water to the boil kettle anyways I find it easier to toss them into the BK. I believe the idea behind FWH is that they are slowly brought up to boiling temp rather than tossed in at boiling. Something about the slow increase in temp allows different isomerizations to occur, and your way sounds like it would achieve that.

The other option you've got available is to mash hop some hops. Just toss 'em into your bag before you start your mash and extract all those tasty flavors. Since there's no trouble with stuck sparges and BIAB, pellet works just as well. I'm not sure on the differences between mash hopping and FWH, but its something I've been meaning to try out.

Thanks guys, I figured something along these lines would work, just wanted to know if anyone else has done it.

Thanks for the replies! :mug:

Depending on how your setup is, this may help you or not. The way I do it (also using his partial mash method), is to toss the hops into the primary mash pot after pulling the bag out to sparge it. Then I turn on the heat onto that pot since its also my boil pot, and add the sparge after its done. I'd think you could toss the hops into the sparge water as well, but since I transfer the sparge water to the boil kettle anyways I find it easier to toss them into the BK. I believe the idea behind FWH is that they are slowly brought up to boiling temp rather than tossed in at boiling. Something about the slow increase in temp allows different isomerizations to occur, and your way sounds like it would achieve that.

The other option you've got available is to mash hop some hops. Just toss 'em into your bag before you start your mash and extract all those tasty flavors. Since there's no trouble with stuck sparges and BIAB, pellet works just as well. I'm not sure on the differences between mash hopping and FWH, but its something I've been meaning to try out.

+1,
this is basically the same thing, just slightly different mechanics-- hops go in the first runnings, which, in the case of deathbrewers method (or any BIAB for that matter), is whats left after pulling the bag out. Youre just putting hops into the wort vs. racking wort onto the hops.

Back