Funny mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpm07

Reaction score
Third batch is a robust porter (first being a pale ale and second an imperial IPA and both big successes).

Trying to relax, not sweat it, and have a homebrew (or two), but this batch involved a funny-ish mistake...

Put my pot with 2 gallons of wort in the bathtub which was filling up with cold water. All was good, went into kitchen to clean fermenter. Heard a loud "thud" and ran into the bathroom only to see the aforementioned pot upside down floating around in the entirely-too-full bathtub. I guess the heat difference kept the lid on, because the bath-water was only slightly discolored. I couldn't tell if any bathwater got in so I just kept cooling and pitched the yeast as usual. Hopefully it works out... :p

Has anyone done this before?

I've never done that before. Before I got an immersion chiller I only did ice baths in my kitchen sink. That is kind of funny, but I would think that since the bath water was discolored, wort got out, but no bath water got in due to the weight of the wort. You're quite lucky the lid stayed on and I am sure you'll be fine. Even in the worst case it still won't kill you, so there's that. Also, I agree with your initial instinct to RDWHAHB. Cheers!

Wow, heard the tipped in the bathtub story before but never with the lid staying on!

If this turns out you've gotta come up with a good name for this brew.
:mug:

That sucks but he's right it won't kill you. Now you got a good story to tell after your friends are done drinking your brew.

this kind of happened to me once - my ice bath water overflowed into the cooling 4 gallons of wort...i tried to salvage it by reboiling but it was of no use, i had to dump the son of a gun.

making mistakes, and learning from them, is what will help you become a better brewer in the end

You should call it "Bath Ackwards Porter". (Or not.) :p

Haha... good name suggestions. It's now fermenting happily and no strange smells (I think).

I was thinking "Tubside Down Porter" :D

Back