functionality of dip tube with stainless scrubber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetdog

Reaction score
I have been using a bazooka screen in my 10 gallon kettle with good results except for the half gallon of wort that gets left behind under the outlet. I threw together some copper pieces and fashioned a dip tube with a stainless scrubber. Is it normal to leave behind a half gallon of wort in the kettle? I am also wondering if there is anything to look out for using a dip tube and scrubber filter, or if I should just forget the scrubber. I use a immersion chiller, but might also try my hand at whirl pooling my hop remnants. I plan on using hop bags w/ pellets to avoid any clogging on my next batch.

IMG_4926.jpg

Why not make a similar curved dip tube that will allow you to attach the bazooka screen to?

a stainless scrubbie wasn't working for me. caused restriction. clogged with hot break/cold break/hops (even with a hop spider). i removed it and everything worked better.

had a similar problem with the scrubbie, but it seems to work for alot of people so I just chalked it up to my bad luck or my system. Currently I'm using a stainless hose braid on the end of a copper diptube simlar to what the OP has. Works great with leaf hops. Also, I tilt the kettle at the end to get the last bit of liquid out - I think I left less than a quart (minus what was absorbed by the hops).

That configuration works well with whole leaf hops since they naturally filter.
On pellet hops if your not using a hop sock the pellets have a tendency to foul most filters. I would forgo the scrubbie on the pickup tube and have it oriented above the trub eg;
PickupTubeNew.jpg

You can always tilt the kettle at the end to get the last of the wort.

Cheers;
BeerCanuck

Thanks for the input.
I brewed a 5.5 gallon batch with the stainless scrubby as a filter last night. I used 4 oz. of pellet hops, and all the hops were bagged except the last 1 oz. addition at the end of the boil. The out flow clogged with about a gallon left in the kettle, and the scrubby needed dislodged. The fermenter ended up with a lot of hop remnants which will hopefully settle out.
I will try to craft a solution to put the bazooka tube nearer the bottom of the kettle. The copper elbows I originally bought wouldn't work, but I am going to purchase some flexible half inch tubing to create a bend that will fit the bazooka tube nearer the bottom of the kettle.

Back